Epic games launcher not working since Windows 10

OK, scrap the Admin suggestions, that was just to test if it was a permissions issue you were experiencing, you normally shouldn’t have to run as Admin.

Your log indicates you have an SSL Connect Error, which could be due to a number of things; date/time incorrect on your system, antivirus scanning encrypted connections, don’t have TLS enabled in your internet options, etc. So that’s probably a place to start investigating.

‘If you know what I mean’ Are you also saying that if you use shortcuts then they don’t work, but if you click on the exe directly everythings fine?

Andrew

If you know what I mean’ Are you also saying that if you use shortcuts then they don’t work, but if you click on the exe directly everythings fine?

No, starting a Shortcut, as well as starting the exe directly works fine. It’s just problematic if I open a .uproject file. Thats what I meant by “Starting remotely”.
If I start the launcher via shortcut or .exe the SSL Connection Error does not occur. It only occures if I open the launcher/editor via opening any .uproject file. Hence I doubt that it’s a general configuration problem. If that would be the case the connection error would occur even if I start the launcher via shortcut/exe, don’t you think?

Another thing which is worth mentioning: when I start the launcher via shortcut/exe Windows UAC asks me to allow the launcher to start, even without admin privileges enabled.

This question does not appear if I start the editor/launcher via .uproject file. So I guess it might as well be a permission issue.

To me, this sounds like the basic observation here is that when running as admin, there is no SSL error, but when running normal user, there is an SSL error. That does actually tie in with the difference between running the Launcher exe yourself which you marked as must be ran as admin, and running the uproject file, which would very likely not respect that setting.

When you run the uproject file, a program called UnrealVersionSelector is ran. This will in turn run the appropriate editor exe, which in turn always runs the Launcher exe I believe. None of this is probably done as admin, which would explain the odd difference between those paths.

The only explanation I can think of for now would be that somehow your user account does not trust our certificate, or one in our key chain, but the admin account does. Does that ring any bells with you? I guess on a similar thought, per-user internet options could be different between your normal user account and the admin one.

Thank you! This working for me now. NOTE: I also had to terminate the hung instances of the launcher in task manager…

Hi MattStH,

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please try the suggestion that abrown mentioned above. Then post back here with the requested info.

Cheers,

TJ

I got an diverent kind of error: it crashes when i minimise it and has a change of chrashing when i klick on an other program, maby this has something to do with windows enabeling programs to have their own core and if windows or unreal engine try’s to do that it chrashes?
first it says EpcGamsLauncher stoped working
than it repeats EpicGamesLauncher stopped working
and somethimes it says as final text: UnrealCEFSubProcess.exe stopped working

and while i was looking wich exe’s stopped working it suddenly crashed without me minimising it or selecting an other program (the log files im sending was crashed by minimising it)

sorry but i cant send part 2 of the log file (max file size)
if you would like it tell me how to send it.
I literely cut the EpicGamesLauncher.log in half
link text

link text

“-openGL” fixed the launcher problem but when i open Unreal Engine it gives an crash message

In my case, the launcher is stuck at 10% download and it keeps on fluctuating between 10% and 11%. Like it becomes 11% and then again drops down to 10%. Help. I am also running windows 10 on my laptop.

Hi Sage,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Try the steps in this section of the troubleshooting guide.

If nothing works, follow the steps here to generate your Debug Logs. Post them, along with your Dxdiag/system specs, in a new AnswerHub entry so that we may track the issue better.

link text

Is that all?

Hi Sage,

Could you please post your debugging logs as well?

it wont open for me either, it keeps saying that it isn’t made for windows or that the file is corrupted but i tried re installing it multiple times. I dont know why it doesnt work cause it use to work before when i had windows 8

Here’s what it shows me:

95219-2016-06-20+(1).png

I had the same issue, when trying to launch a project by Double-clicking the .uproject file an error windows appeared with “Failed to launch Editor”

53852-failed_to_launch.png

Search for UnrealVersionSelector.exe inside your Epic Folder
Epic Games\Launcher\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealVersionSelector.exe

Right-clic the program > Property > Compatibility > Force this program to run as an Administrator

Now it’s working
(allowing UAC to popup warning windows helped me to troubleshoot this issue)