Epic Games Launcher incredibly slow

It seems like everyone just kinda gave up on this topic, but the Epic Games Launcher is so embarrassingly slow. From what I understand the Launcher is a program that renders the webpage, which is also slow, so the issue isn’t only with the launcher.
Whenever you load a page, go away from it, and load the exact same page again, it has to load the entirety of the page once more. Almost like no caching is being used and whatever async loading there is, it’s done in an annoying way.
And yes, I have the launcher installed on an M.2.

I’m working with the engine every day, so I have to open the launcher every day. I’m using multiple machines and the experience is the same. Haven’t heard a positive note about the launcher from my colleagues either.

On the roadmap, I see a single card regarding performance, and it’s related to the Library.
Another card regarding performance was apparently released back in December of 2020, which seems to be a while ago.

I, and a lot of other people, would LOVE for the launcher and website to get some kind of performance update.

The prob is that the launcher goes through the same portal as fortnite and every other epic mmo.

if you are just trying to load an asset pack (that u already have downloaded before)
you can bypass the launcher and copy the vaultcache folder contents for that pack into your project in explorer and then when you open the project the assets will be there.

If you have a large vaultcache online it takes a while
you can try putting your vaultcache on removeable media and keeping it offline unless you need it and your launcher may refresh a teeny bit faster

when you open it, everything is slow until it enumerates what you have in the vaultcache.

I only open the launcher to add new asset packs from the marketplace or learning portal
If I have downloaded it before I never need to connect to get an asset pack.
I start UE from the UEeditor executable.
Its faster.
you can also open projects faster by double clicking or making a shortcut to them directly
on projects that are slow to load, you can double click open a second project thats smaller and work while the other loads.

Might have exaggerated a little bit, stating I have to open the launcher every day. I usually open our project through perforce to avoid the launcher.
Also, I’m sure some people at Epic care about the feedback, but without any transparency, it’s gonna seem like they don’t.

I’m using Unreal for years aswell as launcher but really this last couple of monthes launcher is REALLY REALLY SLOW. I have to wait for 20-30 sec +++ just to open my tab with library - where all my projects and things I’ve already bought. Like cmon guys its getting worse and worse every next month!?!
No improvements, just more lags for nothing? No ability to create my own categories for owned stuff - nooooo, we just have a one big scrapyard of everything (and please don’t tell me about ‘category’ filters because they just doesn’t work ok since some sellers just didn’t attached those tags properly).

OK WE DON’T HAVE THAT ABILITY AND ALOT OF MORE USEFUL ABILITIES IN YOUR LAUNCHER, BUT PLEASE WHY EVERYTHING IS GETTING SLOWER? AND DOES ANYONE CARE ABOUT PERFORMANCE OF THIS LAUNCHER AT ALL?? MY COMPUTER CAN HANDLE UNREAL ITSELF WITHOUT LAGS, BUT CAN’T HANDLE YOUR LAUNCHER?!

I’m sorry for being emotional, just got sick of that.
Please people with same problems, post here so maybe we’ll get some visibility for this problem.

4 Likes

Yeah, its now 2023. Only two days in and I am already regretting opening the launcher. The launcher was built for a purpose, not a side-line project. EPIC, PLEASE FIX THIS PERFORMANCE ISSUE. No, I’m not shouting, just emphasizing everyone’s frustrations. If it was easy to create my own launcher I would have done that yesterday… Hmmmm that makes me wonder… surely a local cache could be used to improve the performance. Deep down I knew desktop apps are just way more performant than web apps. This launcher is web-app trying to be a desktop app. It sucks to be honest.

2 Likes

We’ve got UDN access at work, but iirc I was told it’s used for engine bugs. If I don’t forget, I’ll try and ask if we can pass the message on.

1 Like
  • same problem

As expected, UDN is only for bugs related to Unreal Engine, so no help there.