Epic Games Launcher Connection to the Server Failed

Hi,

Whenever I try to sign into the Epic Games launcher, I get a message reading "Error: connection to the server failed, " like so:

Even the link to “visit launcher troubleshooting” does not work; I got here through Google.

I am a new user trying to play Shadow Complex, so it’s not like I got it to work on this computer before.
I am able to sign in on my laptop, but that device is too underpowered to play the game.

This issue is very similar, perhaps identical, to the one faced by the user in [this][2] thread:

However, much like how he/she never managed to solve his issue, none of suggestions offered in that thread are doing me any good.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi toa361,

Try the troubleshooting steps in this section of the troubleshooting guide. Specifically, could you make sure that you have communication with the Epic servers by adding the following exception to your firewall:

xmpp-service-prod.ol.epicgames.com port 5222

If nothing works, follow the steps here to generate your Debug Logs. Post them here, along with your Dxdiag/system specs.

Of the things you suggested, there are only some that I did know how to do—but they, unfortunately, did not work. As for the parts I don’t know about: How do you make an exception in the firewall like that? How do you unblock ports? How do you switch DNS servers?

And because why not, my Debug Logs, DxDiag file, and a screenshot of my PC specs are attached. (If I have not mentioned it already, I am able to use the launcher offline, but that does not help me download Shadow Complex.)link text [link text][1]

[link text][3]

Hello toa361,

What programs are you using for virus protection, and do you have any software installed that monitors your network traffic?

My only virus protection program is the Windows Defender built into Windows 10, and there is no network-monitoring software installed.

My only virus protection program is the Windows Defender built into Windows 10, and there is no network-monitoring software installed.

Hello toa361,

If you are using windows firewall, please refer to this support article on how to open a port or exception.

What kind of network are you connecting from? Are you trying to connect from a school or business network?

Hi toa361,

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please try the suggestion that I mentioned above then post back here with the requested info.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask.

This worked, thank you! I kept on trying to dd an outbound rule, when what I needed to do was add an inbound rule for the port 5222.

(Sorry about not getting back to you; finals week and the appropriate emails sneaking into my spam folder will do that.)

Great! Glad to hear the issue is resolved. Enjoy your break!