Epic games laucher not launching

I had been enjoying playing the unreal tournament alpha until about last week when i tried to open the launcher and it wouldnt open. There is not process in the task manager indicated that it is starting. Ive tried reinstalling the launcher to different drives, uninstalling then clearing out the temp files using ccleaner, restarting my router and modem, running the launcher as admin.

My specs are
Motherboard:ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3
CPU: AMD fx 8350 (4.6ghz oc)
RAM:2x4gb(8gb) CORSAIR Vengeance240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

I also have attached my dxdiag link text

Hi Warmachine_rhodes,

Try the suggestions in this section of the troubleshooting guide. I think there is a couple that you didn’t mention trying.

If nothing works, follow these steps to generate your Debug Logs and post them here.

I tried those suggestions above and the launcher still doesn’t work. The Debug log is just an empty notepad file

Hi Warmachine_rhodes!

This is an odd one, I would have expected to see a bunch of log files from your previous runs when everything was working. Can you confirm that the logs folder you are looking at there is inside of an EpicGamesLauncher folder structure (rather than UnrealEngineLauncher which is an old location)

May I also ask if you can verify the full path of the Target for the shortcut? It should now be
“D:\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win64\EpicGamesLauncher.exe”

Have you tried resetting your PC? :wink:

Maybe re-install the editor.

well when it first stopped working i uninstalled and reinstalled the launcher so i may have deleted the logs. Yea that path you typed in is correct. i try to launch the launcher from the exe itself instead of the shortcut and nothing happens.

Do you have any kind of virus scanner running, I’m wondering if something is blocking the exe from running and terminating it as soon as you click on it. Could you try disabling it if you do have one?

Andrew

I only have microsoft security essentials as my antivirus and disabling real time protection didn’t solve the issue unfortunately :frowning: .

Are your log files still not generating any information after you restart the launcher?

If they still aren’t, you could try this: Right click the Epic Games Launcher shortcut and select “properties”, then in the “target” field, add the following flags: -debuglogging -forcelogfush. So your target field would looks something like this: “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win64\EpicGamesLauncher.exe” -debuglogging -forcelogflush.

Once you have done this, please relaunch and try to reproduce the problem and see if there is any information in the log files.

ok we got somewhere. i attached the most recent log in my post. Oh and thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me. I’ll be sure to support unreal tournament when it releases from alpha.

are the epic staff still looking into my issue?

Hi Warmachine_rhodes,

Apologies for the delay, due to the nature of the crash you’re getting the logs are giving us very little to go on. This means it is taking us longer ti diagnose the problem.

One possible fix we have found for similar issues is to add the flag -nocef to the commandline in the same method Brendan described above.

Please let us know if this fixes your issue.

i tried the command line fix and nothing happened. still the same issue

I understand that you previously tried adding -OpenGL and it didn’t fix the issue, however we are hoping that getting hold of logs generated when using this flag might help diagnose the issue.

Could you add -OpenGL to the command line then run the launcher. Ensure it has closed/crashed before then zipping up and attaching your entire Logs folder to this post.

Ideally run the -OpenGL test a few times to generate a few logs

adding -openGl seemed to have fixed the problem. i hadnt tried the -opengl command up until you posted it since no one suggested i try that. the launcher opened and is now allowing me to download the unreal tournament alpha. ill post the logs when im done testing out.

Awesome! Really glad that you’re up and running again.

i would upload my logs but the attach limit for this forum is too small. my logs are about 10mb when zipped

If you like, you could upload them to Google Drive or Dropbox then post a link here to download them.

ok here are my debug files https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0FYELqnkf1-WWRyN2FUeXk1SGM