Hi everyone! For the past two months I’ve been working on a plugin to integrate Epic Online Services into Unreal Engine. It implements the Online Services Subsystem API for EOS.
Right now it has the following features:
- Built-in authentication: Just call AutoLogin and all the complexity of logging in with EOS Auth/Connect is handled for you.
- Friends: Not only does it support pulling friends from EAS, it can also unify friends from the native subsystem (so if someone is playing through Steam, they will see their Steam and Epic friends in one unified list).
- Sessions: Create and find sessions for both peer-to-peer and dedicated server games. The plugin also handles discovering the public IP address for dedicated servers when they’re hosting sessions.
- Parties & invites: Full support for EOS parties, including joining parties through the Epic Online Services overlay and sending invites to other players. You can even send invites to players on other platforms (Steam, etc.) and the plugin will automatically handle getting players into the party when the game is launched on that other platform.
- Presence: Support for EOS presence, such as setting a player’s status.
- Peer-to-peer networking: Connect players over the EOS peer-to-peer networking API. Supports cross-play between platforms.
- Stats, achievements and leaderboards: Upload stats, unlock achievements and submit records to leaderboards.
- Player Data Storage: Store and retrieve user data through the User Cloud interface.
- Title Storage: Download content on-demand through the Title File interface; you can use this for downloading e.g. DLC etc when it’s needed.
Plus a few notable extras:
- Play in editor support: Now you can test your online functionality without setting up multiple computers (like you need to with Steam).
- Platform support: Currently supports Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Nintendo Switch. Support for other consoles is in progress.
- Free edition: If you earn less than $30,000 USD/yr, don’t need source code and don’t need support, you can use the Free Edition of the plugin.
- Blueprint support (additional purchase): Access EOS from blueprints by purchasing Online Subsystem Blueprints.
Buy now on Marketplace ($119 USD)
Use Epic Online Services in Unreal Engine! With support for authentication, friends, sessions, parties, presence, stats, achievements, leaderboards, Player Data Storage, Title Storage and peer-to-peer networking, this plugin has what you need to build games on top of EOS.
It supports neat features, like showing a unified friends list of friends from both the native platform and Epic. It allows you to seamlessly invite friends to parties from other platforms like Steam, and it fully supports play-in-editor so you don’t need to set up multiple machines to do your testing on.
Authentication is handled for you. You don’t need to deal with account linking or creation, and you don’t need to build user interfaces to support the Epic Online Services login flow. Just call AutoLogin and you’re done.
If you’re a developer earning less than $30k USD/yr, a Free edition is available. Check the website to see if the Free edition is right for you.
If you need blueprint support, check out Online Subsystem Blueprints. EOS Online Subsystem only provides C++ support by default, so if you need blueprint support, you will need to buy OSB as an additional purchase.
Purchasing the EOS Online Subsystem plugin entitles you to source code access and support. Upload your receipt to the License Manager to access support and source code.