Environment - WIP Forever

Looks very beautiful

This is looking so good man! I am struggling with lighting on foliage and foliage in particular, learning as I go. This is definitly inspiring me to push myself and get better results. Keep it up man I love the realism of this scene and everything you are doing with it.

Looking forwards for more updates! :smiley:

Thank you, guys!

I use the “plenty of parts + high def lightmaps” :smiley:
I didn’t worry too much about the lightmaps for that house. It’s easy to get good results in external archviz. The challenge is to get a nice result with external + internal in the same level. But I haven’t work with that too much yet.

work as always man :slight_smile:

Beautiful work! Lot’s of love for it on Instagram too :smiley:

Thank you, guys :smiley:

Here is another update on that grass. I’ve worked a lot on the materials with instances to add some flexibility and control over color, length, clover, leaf and dead grass layers. My goal is to make it more mesh-independent. It’s still a WIP.

Thanks, man. One hour on Production setting with quality 5. It’s actually pretty fast because all the vegetation is dyncamic. The only tree with static light is that one inside the abandoned place near the wall because I needed contact shadows there to add it some depth.
[/QUOTE]

That grass looks realistic. Can’t believe they are using dynamic lighting.
Okay, Thanks for the info
I have seen some of your previous works using VXGI. Do you still use it?Are there some limitations to it’s use currently? I am thinking of trying it out for archviz but since I have a gtx 780M, they might be issues. Do you prefer lightmass to vxgi? Would be cool to know your opinnion on this.

I use it sometimes when they update it to see how the tech development is going. I don’t think it’s good enough yet. You can get some nice visuals with a lot of tweaks but then the performance will be terrible even on a 980ti.

I’ve been working on new tall grass. I made the last one with reworked textures from old Vray assets I had here. Now I’m doing everything from scratch, even the textures.

Hey,

work, that grass looks amazing. Would you be willing to share the grass material?

Holy moley, what a thread. Found this via instagram I think… dud Unreal share your work?

Anyway, big fan, and my only questions is how did you figure out how to use Speedtree? The tutorials online seem out of date/use assets I don’t have and can;t get, I’ve tried using existing assets (specifically PNG/TIFFs for leaves etc) but I’m having a hell of a time figuring it out. Any tips/links/whatever appreciated!

Its almost hard to believe this is realtime , lighting and vegetation looks so good. Most of the screens have basically 0 items on screen that are giving away of not being actual photo.

Somehow, things like this are always the most fun part with some nice weather outside on a weekend. Although overcast weather works best. :slight_smile:
Better than staring at a screen all the time.

Probably the finest cg grass I ever saw!

FML. Why do I even try…

Okay. Thanks for the info. I will probably be sticking to 4.11.2 then. U are using the foliage brush for the grass or procedural?

The new grass looks so much better.

Really great job in capturing the mood. Looking at these screenshots, it puts me in a place of day dreaming ( which is a good thing for me ). The realisim in your work is well executed!

P.S Are these assets brought or did you make them your own?

Procedural for the distant trees in the horizon, landscape grass type for the tall grass and foliage brush for the short grass near the house and big trees near the camera.

I’ve made them with SpeedTree and 3DS Max.

Thank you all guys, I’m glad you like my work :smiley:

I’m actually planning to turn that material into an asset for the marketplace. I just need to make it more predictable and user friendly.

Yeah there is indeed a lack of advanced Speedtree tutorials over there… I’ve learned what I know (which is not much, believe me) by tweaking their original assets to see how the parameters work. After some practice I started to create my own assets from scratch. The documentation also helps a lot to understand what a parameter does and how it really works, you can easily access it via the ‘?’ mark near each parameter.

Update with brand new tree species: Tabebuia (yellow and purple)
I’m working on a short video too.