Enhanced Input Local Player Subsystem nodes with and without input pins

Hey all

What is the difference between these 2 nodes?

A lot of the tutorials online hook up the mapping contexts in the pawn/character blueprint but I want to do that in the player controller. Now in the player controller, I have 2 options to get the local subsystem from, one having an input node and the other not having it. I know I could get the current player controller and plug it into the subsystem but wanted to know the purpose of the second one.

Looks like it’s the same function, but:

1. First is placed under generic subsystem’s category, but since it’s a player subsystem - you should provide an exact player(or controller, or whatever the input pin is) to look for exact instance of subsystem.

2. Second, under PlayerController category, seems to assume to be used from PlayerController blueprints and it automatically getting the input for pin form self and thus hiding pin since there is no need for it.

1 Like

Indeed that’s been my conclusion but since there is no documentation, I am unable to be sure. Moreover, a way to make sure would also have been nice, which I can’t figure out.

Generally, some nodes have an input which can default to “self”. I wonder why this was the same for these pairs of nodes.

Subsystems are kinda special entity that exposed to editor in slightly special way, at least visually

For confirming it (up to some extent) you always can use both nodes next to each other and compare their output with ==; Check it in PlayerController as well as from any non-controller BP, where, as i guessed, the pin-less node either shouldn’t be able to be placed, it won’t let bp compile or will be automatically converted to second one