Engine Version Compatibility Question

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I’m just not that good with the unreal engine. (I’m more into making music) :slight_smile:

I noticed that my uploaded content is out of date and that it needs to be updated.
I updated 1 of my music packs to version 4.26 to test it. This worked but I got an email from a buyer who asked if I could make the project compatible with 4.24. I looked into it and I noticed that the project I uploaded/updated is only compatible with 4.26 and no other version. (And maybe 4.25 but I don’t know why that is because I used version 4.26 to make the content)

I checked out some other content on the marketplace and noticed that a lot of them support engine version 4.21-4.26.

So I guess my question would be. How can I make sure that my content supports multiple engine versions? What is the best way of doing it? Or is have the highest engine version good enough?

You’d need to provide a project with the lowest engine version you want to support. Backwards compatibility doesn’t really work in UE4 afaik, so they may face issues if they try to import content from a 4.26 project into an earlier version.

Your product should be marked for compatibility for whatever version of the engine your project was made in and anything after.

As for whether the highest engine is good enough, we are mandated to keep our products up to date with the latest 2 versions. However many customers are still using older versions of the engine, so if you’re looking to expand your consumer base it’s best to support as many engine versions as possible within the confines of your project.

For example I used to keep a base version of around 4.13 or so, but recently had to move up to 4.26 for new products. But I would create my products in 4.13, and anyone from there through 4.26 could use the products. For music, there’s really no reason to create your product on the latest product version, do it in one of the earlier versions and ensure they’re compatible for latter ones. That shouldn’t be too difficult given they’re just audio files.

Hope this helps. =)

1 Like

Thanks this really helped! I have tried it and it worked.
I always thought everyone used the latest version but it actually makes sense that some devs use the older engines.

Now I will have to convert all my assets to the lower engine but it will be worth it.

Glad to hear. Yeah most of my customers have always expressed their gratitude for me keeping it as low as possible. Unless they have a specific reason people tend to stick with their current version.

Good luck! =)

1 Like