Engine crashing when I hit compile

Hi, so I’m having this persistent issue where sometimes when I hit compile on a blueprint, the engine will freeze up and then crash. It usually happens when I change a variable’s data type and then hit compile after. I’m not sure why this is happening and if there are any known fixes for this issue.

LoginId:e6eda27d48b9f561561b199b702f50cd
EpicAccountId:05d5c4ed640a4f0dbc00372b1849ef79

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000010010

UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_Kismet
UnrealEditor_Kismet
UnrealEditor_Kismet
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_Kismet
UnrealEditor_Kismet
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
InkObj
atlthunk
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Hey there @Zapking9224! It’s trying to access a memory location that is incorrect/misallocated in some way. A couple of questions!

What engine version are you working with?

May I know your specs?

Does this apply to all BPs or just the one you’re working on now?

Are you changing a variable with tons of references already or does this apply to any variables even freshly created ones?

Hey @SupportiveEntity
So I think I figured out why it’s crashing. Every time I have a struct data type and have it plugged into something else and change it to a basic data type like an int, string, bool, etc. and then keep it plugged in where it has the red wires telling me there’s an issue and hit compile, it crashes. It’s in UE5.1.1. I have an i9 processor with 32GB of ram with a 3060. It’s definitely a software issue because I’ve never had this issue and it’s only when I change the data types and keep them plugged into mismatched data type nodes.

Ahhh you’re correct, the script is supposed to kick back that it cannot compile when the variables are mismatched, not crash the engine. It could be because it’s a struct that the types aren’t playing nicely. I can’t recreate it with normal mismatched nodes at least (which is what I was trying to do when I first checked out your question), it just kept not compiling which is the correct move in that case.