Engine crashing anytime i move or delete a BSP brush

Title pretty much says it all.

Assertion failed: Actor->Brush->RootOutside [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Developer\BSPUtils\Private\BSPOps.cpp] [Line: 527]

UnrealEditor_BSPUtils
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_LevelEditor
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
InkObj
atlthunk
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

Hi vslash,

I just poked around with some BSP brushes and I’m not able to reproduce this in my 5.0.1 project.

If you want to post some steps to reproduce this from a new project I can give it a shot.

Also, with solid repro steps, a bug submission could be a good step forward.

I love BSP, and although I expect it to be maintained/supported for a good while longer, I think it’s important to mention the new Modeling Tools as the alternative to BSP

1 Like

I cant seem to reproduce it so far. Its basically just 1 box with another box subtracting from it to create an empty middle. I cant seem to move or delete either of them.

Ive had them sitting in my scene for a week so not sure when this error started happening ;/
I feel like Assertion failed: Actor->Brush->RootOutside probably gives clues but not sure what exactly it means

I’ve been having the exact same crash. For me it happens whenever I resize a BSP, place any mesh from the modelling tools or even doing Ctrl Z on a postprocess volume. Still haven’t found a fix yet.
It all seems to work completely fine on another project I have locally, so I do wonder what has gone wrong. Another thing to note is that my teammates suffer the same crash too.

Hey sorry just saw this. For me the problem was that I was using the world partition system. I don’t know about the technical details at all but what worked for me was unloading all cells in the world partition. Then for some reason I could delete and move the bugged assets and reload the cells back

1 Like

Cheers for that, it appears to have fixed it for me. Strangely, I still crash if I attempt it in a non World Partition level. But at least I’m still able to utilise the tools under the right circumstances

1 Like