Engine crashes, whole project has to be rebuild

Short question.

I currently encounter a problem when the games crashes. (the crash is my fault and I am currently fixing it)
The problem is after the engine crashes, some parts of the game mechanism are broken, all which are implemented in C++ not BPs. The only way to solve it, to close the editor, delete all binaries and VS files, recreate the project files, recompile and restart the engine.

The annoying part is, sometimes you will have to repeat the process a couple of times before it comes back to normal.

I guess UE4 caches some c++ stuff somewhere or I am not sure.
Any hint on, maybe not how solve it but be able to fix it more reliable - instead of having to rebuild the whole project a couple of time before it starts working again.

Thanks for the help

Unless you’ve got some code that is somehow dependent on data that gets corrupted, this doesn’t make any sense at all.

I can’t even imagine how you could get the engine into a state like that.

Is the crash due to hot reloading? Are you also working on some plugins? if yes, are you linking that/them statically or dynamically?
Symptoms: crash points to random classes that you made.

Its easy to break engine if it’s compiled from source!

This doesn’t make much sense to me, unless you have some code that has some dependency on data that gets corrupted in some way.

The idea that you could even get the engine into a state like that is beyond me.

Thanks For Sharing.

happened to me but on editor level from plugins, so I try to uninstall a plugin and now the bin folder was saying the plugin is missing and project would not start, I had to delete the bin folder are rebuild. This is because it wrote files in the main bin folder of the project regarding plugin operations involved inside my code and made binary files. Maybe you got missing files inside the bin folder, or missing elements inside the file it’s self. Probally you have some missing stuff from inside one of the bin files that gets altered, but it could also be that you are missing a file, but I doubt that at game level.

Just like you, I could not do anything and had to delete the bin folder because it told me files are missing just for uninstalling a plugin. So an operation for uninstall of a plugin modified the structure of the binary files inside the bin folder.

I had the same problem but it was on the editor level from plugins, so I tried to uninstall a plugin and then the bin folder said the plugin was missing and the project would not start, so I had to delete the bin folder and rebuild it. As a result, it created binary files in the main bin folder of the project regarding plugin operations involved in my code and stored them in the main bin folder. Maybe there are missing files inside the bin folder, or perhaps there are missing elements inside the file itself. There is a good chance that you have some missing stuff inside one of the bin files that gets altered, but it is also possible that you are missing a file, but I do not think that is the case at the game level.

Like you, I was unable to do anything and had to delete the bin folder because it told me I had missing files just for uninstalling a plugin and that I could not do anything about it. In other words, uninstalling a plugin changed the structure of the binary files inside the bin folder as a result of the uninstall operation.

You copied my text and modified some words.
I think we need to call the troll alert, yep.
You probally copy other stuff as well, like people’s work, right, that is the most disturbing factor about people like you.

Copy paste artist, break into someone’s computer, take project then state “I am building a game, But I have no idea what am I doing because I’m really not into this, you know artistic side + writing code”

This is happened to me before, with people like you.