Engine crashes when playing recorded sound wave

Hey everyone,

So I’ve been trying to record sound waves in UE5 and play them back, but as soon as I set the start time to anything higher than 0.0 the engine just crashes. This happens in the packaged build as well.

This is the setup I used in a fresh project to reproduce this:

And this is the error I get, regardless of what kind of node I use to play the audio:

I couldn’t find anything about this bug and I haven’t been able to find a workaround either. Does anyone know whether this is just an issue on my end? Or if not, if there’s a potential workaround?

Thanks!

Check if sound “is valid” after recording and before playing. I think it is either not recorded, or for some reason sound asset is not stored properly.

The sound wave is valid and it’s definitely recorded, since whenever I set the start time to 0 I have no problems at all. Also afterwards I can see it as a sound wave in the content browser and I can play it just fine in there. It seems like recordings are saved in such a way that it can’t handle changing the start time for some reason.

Hi, you could consider using the capturable sound wave from the RuntimeAudioImporter plugin which should work fine without any crashes: 4. Capturable Sound Wave · gtreshchev/RuntimeAudioImporter Wiki · GitHub

The sound wave is valid and it’s definitely recorded, since whenever I set the start time to 0 I have no problems at all. Also afterwards I can see it as a sound wave in the content browser and I can play it just fine in there. It seems like recordings are saved in such a way that it can’t handle changing the start time for some reason.