Engine crashes when opening project

Hey Epic guys, I just had one of the normal crashes (Engine always crashes like at least once every 5 minutes if you use many structs in blueprints) but since the crash I am not able to open the project again.

I googled and found that I should change the default map in the DefaultEngine.ini and I changed the map to “/Engine/Maps/Templates/Template_Default”. Now I can open the project again, but the engine just crashes on doing “anything”.

If I hit play, the Engine crashes. If I try to load my Map, the engine crashes. If I try to open any blueprint, the engine crashes. Crash report always just says “We apologize for the inconvenience. Please send this crash report to help improve our software.”

I think you can understand this is not really nice for me since I can’t continue to work on my game and I have no idea how to fix this issue :frowning:

link text

I even tried opening a copy of the project in 4.7P8 but there I have exactly the same problem…

please help :frowning:

Heyo John,

Thanks for reporting this crash. I’m looking into this and had a few questions.

Crash report always just says “We
apologize for the inconvenience.
Please send this crash report to help
improve our software.”

In the crash report window, is there a call stack that appears along with that message? If so, can you please forward that along?

If I hit play, the Engine crashes.

Is this on the Template_Default map that you are attempting to play?

Any additional info would be useful as well :slight_smile:

Live long and prosper,

Hi !

No, in the crash report windows there is no callstack, but in the log I attached you can find a (useless) callstack.
Yes, the “crash on play” and also the “crash on opening of any blueprint” is on the Template_Default map, since if I use my real map the engine already crashes on opening.
I can give you a download link to my whole project if it helps. I just would not like to post it here in public.

Good to know there are working vulcans at Epic :wink: Live long and prosper yourself.

Hey John,

So I went through your log and found this:

[2015.02.23-00.22.51:739][615]LogBlueprint:Error: [compiler] Error Function
‘CivilianReady’ called from Civilian
Ready should not be called from a
Blueprint

[2015.02.23-00.22.51:749][615]LogBlueprint:Warning: [compiler] Warning [0533.94] Compile
of Civilian failed. 1 Fatal Issue(s) 0
Warning(s) [in 36 ms]

[2015.02.23-00.22.51:911][615]LogCrashTracker:

Can you look through your other logs and tell me if it cuts out in the same place in each one? (These are lines 100-102 in the log you sent)

If it is crashing in the same place, it would appear that your “Civilian” blueprint may not be compiling correctly. I talked with one of our EngineQA Technicians and he suggested renaming the extension on the Civilian.uasset so that the editor cannot read it (Eg: Civilan.blahblah). Then try opening your map and get back to me with the result.

Yes, it’s always the same place.

I actually already did this yesterday (just deleting the civilian.usasset in a copy of the project). Then I have errors somewhere else.

Log

I tested this with the 4.7P8 Release, not 4.6.1.

Hey John,

We want to see if your Crash Reporter is sending a callstack despite not showing one in your window (stranger things have happened). Can you put the following description in the crash reporter window and hit send:

“for Williams testtest”

This will allow me to find your crash report in the mix with everybody else’s.

ok, I did it.

Hey John,

Looks like it worked and I got a callstack. I’ve made a bug report (UE-10569).

Can you zip up your Civilian.uasset and send it to us? This might help us track down the issue.

One question for clarity, when you deleted/renamed Civilian.uasset, you said it still threw an error. I just want to make sure that it also still crashed, it appears like it does according to the log, but figured I would make sure.

Can you also attach your dxdiag so that I can attach it to the bug report?

Ok, here is the Civilian.usasset:

Civilian

When I deleted the Civilian.usasset the Engine still crashed. Otherwise you would not have the callstack in the log I guess.

Here is my dxdiag:

link text

Thanks for the extra info, I added it to the bug report.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

I don’t really care about the bug report, why have you marked your “answer” as accepted?
The important thing for me is to be able to open my project again! You have not said how I can achieve this.

Hey John, I saw your post on the Forums. I see you said you were willing to share the project that is causing the crash. Would you mind sending me a link to this via the forums and I’ll take a look at this with tomorrow and see if we can help you get back up, running, and happy developing! :slight_smile:

Hey John,

I want to apologize if it seemed like I was dismissing your problem after entering the bug report. I will admit that in my enthusiasm, I missed your statement about uploading your whole project. That is my bad and I own up to that mistake.

However, I have been digging into your project this morning and, as expected, got the crash locally. I was able to open the project (and TestMap) after renaming the “Civilian.uasset” to “Civilian.blahblah”.

Then I hunted down the “CivilanReady” function (which the log indicated could have been a problem) in the CivilianManager. I disconnected the starting node from the rest of the graph. This allowed me to open and close the project, map, and all blueprints again without crashing. I went ahead and renamed “Civilian.blahblah” back to “Civilian.uasset” and relaunched the editor. It showed up in the content browser and I was able to open the BP and make modifications.

This should get you up and running. If, like you said earlier, renaming Civilian.uasset still causes a crash on your end, I’m packaging the project right now. Just let me know and I’ll upload and send the link to you privately.

At the moment, I don’t know the root cause of the crash. I’ll continue to investigate and collaborate with the crew on what is causing the crash.

Make it so,

Hi ,

Thanks a lot!

I did like you said and it “worked”. It stopped crashing. I only tried deleting the Civilian.uasset in 4.7P8 where it has not worked, it seems in 4.6.1 it works.

But the renaming of the Civilian.uasset is causing the Engine to replace any “Civilian” variable by an “Object” Variable and disconnecting every cable between Civilian Variables or Arrays and other Nodes. I guess you saw how many Blueprints my project has, I will have to delete every single Civilian variable everywhere, create it again (since I can not change the type of a variable after it is placed) and connect it again to every single node. I can’t really do this.

I think it’s actually a quiet bad behavior of the engine to just change the type of every variable to “Object” just because one blueprint is “missing”. It should just stay on the missing type and create an Error on compile. And once the “missing” blueprint is found again, it should just work again.

It would probably take 4 or 5 hours for me to recreate every single Civilian Variable everywhere without forgetting to connect any variables to any node… Do you think there is another solution for me? Probably after 5 hours of recreating the variables the Engine will just crash again and I will have to rename the Civilian blueprint again and the Engine will destroy all references again… :frowning:

If you would find out what is causing the crash and would be able to fix it I could just open the project without renaming the Civilian.uasset and the engine would not destroy all references.
How likely is it you will find the cause of the crash in the “near time” (a week or so)? Not very likely I guess?

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Actually, come to think of it, here’s a workaround.

I have more explicit instructions, but it boils down to copying the “fixed” CivilianManager.uasset into a crashing version of your project. Preferably a “clean” project that you haven’t tried fixes on, like the one you sent to us.

Hope that helps!

Thanks , great idea, worked very well, I only had to recreate all the variables in the CivilianManager.
After this I converted (a copy) of my project for 4.7 and fixed some issues there, but it worked very well.
Then I created another copy of my project and connected the CivilianReady function again. I saved the project, closed it, and boooom I get a crash on opening my map :stuck_out_tongue: Once it crashed on trying to open my map, and another time I tried to open the CivilianManager blueprint. And I actually get callstacks :slight_smile: You can find both callstacks in the attached file.

link text

ok, actually, I can’t even open my map in the copy of my project I made before connecting the CivilianReady function… So it seems 4.7 is even more crashy. I know I still have some errors in the blueprints (one plugin missing and some stuff which is changed in 4.7) but nonetheless the engine should not crash on opening of the map, right? I attached the log of the crash (CivilianReady function is NOT connected there, so it’s some other issue).

link text

, I think I don’t like 4.7 or 4.7 does not like me :frowning:

Actually, after adding the missing plugin I were able to open the project again, open the map and open the blueprints without any crashes.
Then I closed the project and, of course, after starting it up I was not able to do anything without a crash.

It’s so strange… First 4.7 works, then I close the project and after that it stopped working… Then I added the missing plugin and it worked once again, but after closing and reopening it again does not work :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t get this. This has to be some strange 4.7 bug.

Actually, in the logs I see that I get a lot of warnings/errors in the Building.uasset, but I even compiled this multiple times without any problems when the engine worked (after adding the plugin). So there really was no issue in the Building.uasset.

In the log in the post attached above you see the Building.uasset warnings/errors but after I added the missing plugin they were away and everything worked, and now after reopening the project they are just back!?

Doug Wilson in the forum suggested I should create a seperate Post on the AnswerHub for this issue with 4.7: Project converted from 4.6.1 to 4.7 crashes on startup - Platform & Builds - Unreal Engine Forums