Engine 5.1 - Foliage will not work on anything, brush will not appear (SOLVED)

So, I am having a strange issue with the Foliage tool, it seems there are multiple solutions and causes and cant seem to wrap my head around what is causing my issue. Also, 90% of my search results return “fixes” for Procedure foliage, which I am not currently using at this stage.

Issue: upon creating a new landscape, regardless of import or not, when I go into the foliage tool the Brush does not appear to paint foliage onto the landscape. This is for both world partition and non-world partition levels.

Things I have tried: Explored settings in the foliage, landscape, world settings, project settings, using foliage tool in a world partitioned level and non-world partitioned level. Tried placing foliage on landscape and static mesh, still no brush.

Additional notes: I am using a project from the Marketplace; ES-RPG What throws me off even more, is I can use the foliage tool in the levels the project comes with, as long as I don’t delete the default landscape in the level. the moment I delete the landscape to import my own, the tool no longer functions with the new landscape.

1 Like

Update: Still troubleshooting the issue and trying to isolate the cause. I created an empty project and tested the foliage tool, which is working fine. I am not sure what is different between the empty project and the project file form ES-RPG. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, and I will investigate based on any suggestions.

SOLVED: This worked for my specific issue. set your landscape collision to custom and tick the box for “World Static” to Blocked and “Dynamic Foliage” to Blocked. This change fixed the Foliage brush and was then able to paint foliage once again! It might only need the last one, but lot of people were saying to tick world static.

4 Likes

I also had a problem when neither Foliage Brush nor Landscape Brush worked. But in my case, there was another reason. Recently I added foliage megascans and… added Global Foliage Actor UE4 as well. After two days of research on the problem, I deleted Global Foliage Actor UE4 from my level - and it solved the problem! Maybe it will help someone with a similar issue.

1 Like

how do i do

Unfortunately none of the methods above solved the issue for me. However, loading another level and getting into the foliage mode activated the brush, which started working back in the problematic level as well!

1 Like

I solved this by making sure my filters in the foliage tool were set correctly. Specifically selecting “Landscape” solved my issue:

1 Like

i have the same problem now