Enabling substepping, a very specific collision trigger stops working. How so?

I have a variety of objects in my game that derive from a base class called “Interactable”. Among other things, an Interactable comes with a collision box. Player character detects the collision box from its NotifyActorBeginOverlap, and if it belongs to an Interactable, first thing to happen is that an interaction prompt appear.
Like so (the vines here are the interactable):

Now, turns out I’d LOVE to enable substepping for a variety of reasons – first of all because of that pants chain you see on the player. However, as soon as I enable it, the collision box on the interactable is not detected anymore… It starts to function again tough if I select the collision box (while the game is in PIE), and change a property (doesn’t matter which one):

Feels like the object physics is “sleeping” somehow – and adding things like Collider->Activate() didn’t do anything (btw… I checked if the object is ticking, and it is). Now, to add mistery to the mistery: this behaviour only happens with that specific interactable… everything else works fine. The only things that differs in that interactable from the others, is that “the vines” it’s an object spawned by the player, rather than being placed in world by the designer.

Another possibly useful piece of info: if I enable “Tick Physics Async” in the substepping menu (regardless of whether “Substepping Async” is enabled or not) my infamous collision goes back to working… at the expense of the chain deforming in very ugly ways (so no, that’s not a solution).

But bottom line, substepping shouldn’t really interfere with the way a basic collision trigger works. Am I missing something, or is this a bug??