Emitting Events From External Applications To Unreal Engine Ndisplay Clusters

I am interested in getting external programs to transfer data to and from Unreal engine at runtime (5)

In the case I’m currently interested in applying it is sending serial data (USB) to be read as a Json event in my ndisplay application or to create some kind of intermediatory that reads text or other data files and send the data to unreal engine through the socket conection (IP | port (41003).)

The documentation has some scaffolding that talks to this under the cluster events section and emitting from external applications.

My question is how would I achieve this effect explained above. or at the very least find an application that I could essential setup to communicate and pass simple text strings or json events to UE5 for debugging purposes. just to get that part of the puzzle working.
For example using command line or an applications embedded command to send a message or data that can be interpreted by unreal engine using the blueprint nodes provided so that i can trigger an event from an external program.
Local IP is fine.

I am currently exploring use PuTTy to communicate with my local socket (IP : Port) howevever I can’t seem to get the format right to register the message I am sending to Unreal engine either in the logs or the switchboard listener log. I know the connection is established as PuTTy and netcat (networking tools for sending TCPIP messages) are able to connect through the json listening port (41003) that becomes available after I start ndisplay. I am kind of stuck here and I can’t find anyone else that is exploring this.

Is their anyone with expertise or interest in connecting unreal engine and ndisplay to other applications like webpages or custom sensors or other interfaces?

**I’d Like to say that I am not sure this is the correct category to post under. It could fall under plugins and pipelines as it uses switch board and ndisplay functionality or programming and scripting as some solutions might require the creation of bat files or other applications that require some basic coding or networking knowledge or virtual production as it uses switchboard and ndsiplay.

1 Like