Ellie from The Last of Us Render

I unzipped the files from the download link but I have no idea how to make a model of Ellie out the assets that is able to move and stuff. How do I import all the stuff to Unreal Engine 4 and make a character with all the assets?

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this against the law? Even if you downloaded the model from a website, Sharing it isn’t exactly legal is it? Or am I missing something here? I don’t think you should’ve posted the link here if it is illegal.

Not sure but illegal thing will be if someone will use it commercial. Right now it’s something like “modding”.

But the model has been extracted from Last of Us, right? Then that extracted model is being shared on here; Which if this is the case IS illegal.

Only illegal if sold for profit.

So does anyone have a step-by-step instruction on making skeletal mesh and adding all of the assets of Ellie that Nopal3d made? I downloaded the assets but have no idea how to import into UE4 let alone attach to skeletal mesh to make Ellie.

@nopal3d: Please do not distribute copyrighted models from commercial games.

icaraeus i sent u pm, if u havent seen :smiley:
and , its illegal if you sell it for money , because its copyrighted and i think if u release it for free it will be legal , and sharing in thread is illegal but in pm is legal?

No. It’s illegal no matter what. Epic can be held liable if they allow the intellectual property of Sony be shared knowingly on its forums.

What CheapModdler said, It’s not legal at all.

If it was your work then it would be a different story; otherwise no one would ever get in trouble for piracy.

Hey guys, what if we do the same but with legal models… yes, contests, like the Game Jam but for artists, for example, a contest of recreate the most beautifull environment based in winter or a nice sunset, a specific character render, render a frog, a forest.

All for compare skills, promote competivity and the creativity for better quality environments and scenes.

tried to do something like that before, and we(mods) would continue to make such contests if people were interested but it didnt go well as you can see here: [Contest][Winter/Christmas] Win a UE4 Subscription Month! - Off-Topic - Epic Developer Community Forums!

We can give it one more try if there is interest though.

I didn’t realize about the contest (I never visited the Off-Topic subforum).
How about a subforum of contests? with awards like marketplace content (i love gifts like content), subscriptions or only for fun.

From what I’ve read about it, using the models for your own educational purposes is seen to be kind of ok. But anything other than that is illegal, so distributing it to others is illegal.

I know a few people who have some models of characters etc that open them up to improve their topology/unwrapping or whatever but you can’t be using them to make another game.

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to drop in and have a word about the model being used. While we always like to see cool new renders in UE4, we cannot encourage the use of assets that have been procured without proper authorization. I have to ask that you do not send it to anyone on our forums and I would also encourage you to not use it at all. Having enthusiasm for a game is great, but this model belongs to Sony and it is a violation of the copyright to take it or share it.

If you look into the forum’s Code of Conduct, you’ll see we do have rules against posting copyrighted material. Epic respects copyrights and will not facilitate illegal redistribution of assets.

I would also appreciate it if you would consider taking down the images that are displaying the model. It is not required, but it would be a good idea in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any quesitons! Thanks!

I have one question , can i make a small game which is with copyrighted model? (100% you will say no )
or i should abandon it ? :confused:
just thinking of small demo like going somewhere and then the game ends :v

Your possession of the model without proper authorization is itself illegal. You can do whatever you want with it technically, but everything you’re doing with is illegal so it would be up to Sony & their respective lawyers if they ever thought what you were doing was worth taking legal action.

I’d suggest finding some freely available assets, or even chipping in a bit to get some off of the marketplace. You can make homage to a game without it being literally that game. Also this way you don’t paint yourself into a corner if you decide you’d like to take your project further in the future!

Technically this is where it gets tricky in a way. Legally the answer is flat out no. But if you were creating a mod for a game and kept it out of the radar until after your release then you would be okay. Kind of how there are Resident Evil characters in Left 4 Dead on the Steam Workshop. It’s a gray area. But posting here, right now, puts Epic at risk of being sued and so they have a responsibility to shut you down.

You mean the RE6 characters that Capcom & Valve agreed to put in L4D2?

What is never ok to developers is stealing their models and then using them. But what can oft get the go ahead is fan made projects using an IP. You’d get more out of having someone create a model with clothing like Ellie and then distributing that for non-commercial development. Of course some projects such as Main5’s Fighting is Magic an homage to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic which had its development ceased after Hasbro sent legal notice.