El Capitan Hackintosh Mac Pro 1,1

Hey guys! Just thought I would share some information with those of you that are on OS X running UE4.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 tower with dual Quad Xeons 2.66 and 32GB DDR2(yeah, I know) and a Radeon 5770. As you may already know, this is well below UE4 min specs. I was running Yosemite 10.10.5 for the last few months and UE4 was barely playable, even on low settings in the demo scenes provided with the engine. However, I’ve recently upgraded to El Capitan and WOW is there a huge difference. Not only is it playable, but I’m running 30+ FPS on Epic engine settings. Highly recommended for those of you on an older Mac.

Tonight, I’ll be replacing the 5770 with a GTX 560Ti and updating this thread.

Edit: this model Mac Pro is from 2006 and was purchased for only $200 + $100 for the 32GB RAM kit on Amazon and CPU upgraded from 2 dual-cores to 2 quad-cores. The 560Ti is going to run me a whopping $50. That puts me at $350 for a PC that runs unreal smoothly on high settings(in a decently put together project), can run OS X/Linux/Windows, can run all my music apps(Logic, Pro Tools, etc.), and can build all general Apple applications. I’d say this is a pretty sweet deal if you have the know how.

Cool…

Try booting into windows instead of OSX and see if it is even faster…

In my experience, even on identical hardware, anything that uses the gpu is much much faster on windows…
now UE4 performance on mac is much better than it was, but it is still faster on windows.

If possible, boot into windows and post some benchmarks - would be curious to see your results on that hardware…
:slight_smile:

Unreal4 Benchmark for Mac?

I just finished a Skylake build: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI mobo, Intel Core i7 6700 CPU, 16 GB Kingston DDR4 RAM, two Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSDs, MSI nVidia GTX 750 Ti graphics, in a Thermaltake SD101 Mini-ITX case. This is a shoebox- sized computer. Benchmarks: “Heaven” shows 50.7 fps on High Quality, 2xAA on my 1280x1024 monitor. “Valley” shows 47 fps (score=2000), same benchmark setup. Cinebench 21 scores 811 on CPU, 101 fps on OpenGL. Geekbench 3 gives 4202 single-core, 16737 multi-core.

So I am wondering, are there any graphics benchmarks using the Unreal4 engine that will run under Mac OS X 10.11.6 (latest “El Capitan” Mac OS)? I’d like to give one a try, but can’t find any. Cyan’s new “Obduction” video game using Unreal4 is due for release on August 22, and I have ordered it. How will it run on my machine?

Hi guys,

I have a hackintosh: i7 6700K, 16 DDR4 2400, Asus 170z game pro.HDD 500G, GTX 750Ti. Could you share your setting to run Unreal in Hackintosh. Tks