Editor tabs in 4.6/4.7

We’ve integrated UE4.7.2 straight from UE4.5. While a lot of the functionality is improved, the new tab behaviour for the asset editor is driving everyone up the wall. No matter what window was opened last, new tabs open straight in the main editor window. This is really not optimal as I work in separate windows sometimes and I ended up thinking the property matrix was broken because it wouldn’t open, when it was in fact opened in the main window.

I combed throughout the editor preferences and couldn’t find anything that sounds like it might change this behaviour. Is there any workaround for this?

No workaround and no settings that can be adjusted in 4.7.

This has been added as optional setting in 4.8 with the default behavior to open as a new editor window rather than being lumped in with the Main tab.

I actually asked about this today and was shown this was already integrated in 4.8. You were not the only one who wanted the old behavior back. :wink:

Alright, good to know. Thanks!

The best news i read today, thanks :smiley:

If anyone is building from source in 4.7, you can change the behavior by editing AssetEditorToolkit.cpp:

Change:

EAssetEditorToolkitTabLocation SavedAssetEditorToolkitTabLocation = EAssetEditorToolkitTabLocation::Docked;

To:

EAssetEditorToolkitTabLocation SavedAssetEditorToolkitTabLocation = EAssetEditorToolkitTabLocation::Standalone;

Cheers,
Michael Noland

If you know how to fix it why have you not fixed it in 4.7.1 or 4.7.2? It’s really annoying :stuck_out_tongue:

As this is more of a feature change, it wouldn’t typically be include it in a hotfix (anything marked as 4.#.#). Hotfixes are for, well, fixes! :wink: In regard to features and editor behavior, the hotfixes are expected to behave the same way as the first 4.# release(preview builds aside).

As stated before, it will be an option in 4.8.

Have a cordial day,