Editor stuck at 45%, frozen and not compiling shaders

Hi all,

My work recently upgraded from 4.24 for 4.25. Everytime I try to open the editor it gets stuck at 45%.

I know this is usually where shader compilation happens, so it’d usually be normal. However, the editor doesn’t appear to be compiling shaders, task manager shows 0% cpu usage, and RAM usage is not fluctuating.

I have a new 8 core intel i7, rtx 2060 super, and 64gb ram, so I don’t think it’s a system issue.
I have deactivated my firewall and made sure that all UE prerequisites for the project are installed.
I have tried deleting my old p4v workspace and resyncing everything.
My logs don’t contain any red flags, and look the same as other people on my team’s.

I’m totally stuck and frustrated by this. Does anyone have any idea wtf is going on?!?!?!?!?!

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I have had this and now solved it for my case, and I believe it’s a common issue.

I think it might be invalid lighting from my experience, try opening your project folder and find the *.umap. You should then see a similarly named file but it will be called the map name then _BuiltData.uasset. This file should contain the lighting data etc.

If you do have that file, then try renaming or even if brave delete it. Once I had done this the editor loaded perfectly fine but I was of course missing lighting data.

Hi everyone,

Today I launched UE5.1.1 and it loaded a random project within a couple of seconds, no shader problems, nothing. Then I decided to test out the car configurator project from the marketplace (purelly out of fun), the marketplace said that it wasn’t compatible with 5.1 (but it mentioned that it was, but whatever). I loaded it up on 5.0.3 and it worked normaly. After powering of and coming back later all of my other projects were still fine and loaded with no compiling shader wait time, but I accidentaly launched the car configurator project with 5.1.1 and the message said something about copying 5.0 to 5.1 (honestly I don’t remember the details). The project took about 20minutes instead of a couple of seconds and suddendly all of my other projects were compiling shaders for an hour (+8000) shaders even though there was nothing there and was a very small project.

My fix was deleting the car configurator project from my pc and it fixed everything. I honestly do not know why it worked, but it did. So I hope that this heleps someone who has a similar issue…

NOTE: This is a repost from another post: How is this acceptable? (compiling 8000+ shaders on a brand new installation) - #67 by RudaFelker

Hey, may you trz to change the default start map in the Project EXE ( rightclick on the Project exe and open with Texteditor) change the map to nothing or a smallermap you may know… so then the project starts and you can load the map manually. more likely to finish the compiling liek this