Editor startup hangs at "Loading objects referenced by: Loaded Packages..."

My last Windows update was about 2 weeks ago. I haven’t changed anything. And suddenly today the game’s editor hangs during startup. I see my editor splash screen and at the bottom it says “Loading objects referenced by: Loaded Packages…” And it doesn’t progress beyond that. I restarted my computer and then I was able to start the editor. I closed the editor and now I’m trying to open it again, and I get back to this point.

Have any of you had this happen? Do you know how to fix it?

Edit: There’s nothing wrong in Task Manager as far as I can tell. There aren’t multiple copies of my game running, for example. I don’t know what’s causing this.

Edit: It might be a problem with Steam. I just closed Steam and tried running my game again. This time I at least got something in my log file. Because my game uses Steam protection, I can’t run the game without Steam. But now I can’t start Steam for some reason.

Update. It looks like I can’t run my game either now. These are the last lines in my debug window when trying to play from Visual Studio.

The thread 'COfflineMessageCache cleanup' (0x3654) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'COfflineMessageCache cleanup' (0x3830) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0x3a18) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0x3b64) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0x24ac) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0x1c20) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0x223c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

It doesn’t even get far enough to write to the log file.

never heard of such issue but here’s something to try
compile the engine in Debug and launch it through visual studio, wait for it to hang and pause the debugger (Debug > Break All) it should give you a callstack of what it is doing at that moment. try resuming and pausing a few times to ensure it’s always the same place and avoid a false positive. this should at least give you a place to start