Editor Sliders are too Sensitive

I’m finding tiny movements of certain editor sliders (eg postprocess dof distance / light intensity) fly off into the thousands. Is there a way to increment these slider values slower? (I tried holding alt when sliding them (this does smaller increments in programs like 3dsmax) however it doesn’t make any difference).

I know I can type in numbers but it makes dialing in correct values much slower. This issue doesn’t seem to happen on all sliders / exposed variables.

5 Likes

This is still an issue 4 years later on 4.26! When values are close to 0 the sliders have fine control, where numbers are large its super sensitive. Doesn’t make sense to me at at all. Its really hard to get accuracy sometimes in your editor from this.

Most programs have a modifier key to adjust slider sensitivity instead. Or even better make it like Houdini’s increment ladder thing which is excellent design.

Are we missing something? Hoping there’s a massive UI overhaul in ue5.

1 Like

yeah this is really bizarre. im suffering from the same problem nonstop. i thought unreal engine had better designers than this. even garbage unity has an alt key you can hold to slow down the ridiculously unusable, fast slider issues.

so thats it? three total people out of millions who think the sliders are too fast? strange.

1 Like

I completely agree. The only answers I seem to get are “don’t use the slider” and “type values in manually”. Sure, that’s a solution. But I often find it easier to quickly experiment with sliders to get a ballpark value that can then be dialed in manually.

As mentioned above, several other programs have some form of slider precision control. Perhaps it’s there and I just can’t figure it out, perhaps it’s not. This isn’t exactly a deal-breaker, but it would certainly be nice to have the option.

1 Like

I too find this, i was pressing ctrl or shift ,etc to see if it had a precision setting but it doesnt. Thats crazy.
I`m using a pen tablet so its even worse.

2 Likes

Bumping, this an incredible feature as shown in Nuke, Maya, Substance Painter. It’s the best in Nuke, shift increases sensitivity and ctrl reduces it.

3 Likes

5.1 preview 2, and this is still a problem?

How difficult is it to do something like in 3dsmax?

1 Like

Defnitely high on my list of ‘please incorporate’

1 Like

Blender has such intuitive controls with the Shift button slowing down any slider value adjustments. I agree with you guys, please incorporate this Devs.

2 Likes

As a workaround you can put a key on the parameter and change it in the curve editor for fine control. But yeah, a shift shortcut for precise control would be even better.

2 Likes

Yeah, Unreal 5.3 has been released and I still can’t slow down my slider. sometimes it goes too far, it’s really annoying. Please Epic Games, Do Something

1 Like

I just found out. When clicking on a value and it’s highlighted, you can use your mouse wheel to increment or decrement. Holding shift increments 10 and holding ctrl increments 0.1.

1 Like

as a Maya user it drives me nuts! in Maya one can hold crtl to slow down sliders in the attribute editor, I guess there are even better ways out there, in UE there is nothing?

1 Like

holding shift for fine control like blender would be very appreciated.
Im new to unreal so i dont know how easy it is to add changes, but i dont imagine it’s the hardest to implement

2 Likes

Yes, ctrl+drag for fine control would be great to have (or shift/alt+drag). When adjusting certain things it can be hard to know the exact number you need, so a slider with more control is needed.

Clicking and then mouse wheel doesn’t really help because you have to press enter in order to see what change was made.

It’s crazy, something like that in 2024 still missing in unreal.

1 Like

Same as you guys, changing a parameter by typing every value is such a waste of time.
In Houdini you have X boxes to choose at which rate you want to change your steps:
[100] [10] [1] [0.1] [0.01] [0.001]
Which is a great time saver, you know each input = 1 of those values

1 Like