Editor Instability

I’m not sure what’s causing it, but the Unreal Editor is extremely unstable for me. The main editor window will flash black at times. Context menus will also flash black or vanish. Sometimes the editor will slow down and become very choppy. My process manager reports very little overhead; the engine isn’t running out of resources of processing power. Sometimes taking the editor out of fullscreen will temporarily alleviate the black screen/context menu issues. I’ve tried disabling plugins, creating new projects, disabling g-sync, reinstalling drivers. None of it seems to work. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue as other games and applications run fine.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080
Nvidia Driver: 461.40 Studio
Unreal Editor: 4.26.1

well my win ten box wont load unreal 426 no more so im done even botheirng with this engine

Errors of anykind ?

Make sure you have 32GB memory. I had 16GB (as recommended ), and the situation was unworkable…

What kind of work are you doing with editor ? Huge project ? I just put together a new case/system, starting out with 16gb of good ddr4 ram so what you just said could be depressing :wink:
What are you trying to do for such bad perf. ?
I have just 8 of old ram and I hardly ever have such issues.

Cheers

At that time I was just starting with UE4, browsing through the examples. And even the small examples were crashing randomly for me. Including running out of video memory messages with GTX 1080, which has 8GB… I tried even closing other apps, changing virtual memory settings… Nothing helped, until I added another 16GB. At least for me, that was the solution. This helped a lot also with the compilation, since 16GB were not enough for Visual Studio either.

I don’t know how others are able to run UE on lower spec machines… I was a step away from giving up, since I thought I already had a good PC. Every other software was running perfectly for me, including Unity.

Actually, here is how it looks. I ran the shooter game example from Visual Studio, which is very simple. One very small map, 2 weapons, no bots, no nothing… It’s barebones.

With 16GB, you are right at the edge. When you start opening more editor windows, you can easily run out of RAM. At least this was my situation. While tweaking the page file settings may help I guess, it will slow down your computer a lot. It’s intended to handle extreme situation, no to work like this.

Just wow, TY so much for input. ya I suppose the examples were very taxing, I 've prob. never ran them , being swept up in my own project. My 16gb won’t be enough it seems ( new case and ryzen 5 3600 )but I got a new 128gb asus board so I’ll fix that issue later with a 32gb ram addition :))))

OUch, ty for warning, I can still return it I think, newegg purchase. I got it bc price was decent and it was 128gb ram , but ya it only has one rgb controller, kinda wanted two. I was told wrong my rep at newegg so its an easy take back.

Msi then or whats the word around here ?
That bites, I did a search online and it said asus was the one for motherboards…dont’ believe everything you read I guess…

Yes indeed tho, asus cust. service IS stinky, very bad english and I often had to repeat myself and they still didn’t get it!!! Thx for verify, that cuts it, no asus.

Could you get into more details, what you mean by horror stories? Own experience? If I search the web, I can find stories on quality issues for every vendor.

Looking for a new PC that is also affordable, I found this thread. Unfortunately, the current prices and delivery situations especially for the GPUs are horrible. I’d love to get a desktop PC with big monitor, but everything I configured turns out to skyrocket price. And from what I read, the situation will not change in near future and even might get worse.

So this one here is a configuration, that matches my needs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8x 3.2 GHz > hoping to improve annoying shader compiles compared to my old i7 2820QM 4 cores
  • 32 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz > I actually did reach limits with 16GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6 > 30XX seems to be better choice over 20XX, but everything will be better than my current Nvidia Quadro 3000m :slight_smile:
  • 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD Drive
  • 15,6 FullHD Wide-View Display > Unfortunately no 17.3 available - but I could still use an external monitor

It’s an** ASUS TUF Gaming A15**, a quite new model - so should I be concerned? I could buy this one for 1715,00€ - did not find comparable offers and it’s on stock and can be delivered within 2 days. What are your thoughts out there? Anyone even using this one to share personal experience?

Thank you for your reply. I’m especially concerned about the cooling system, and suspect, that such a small notebook might have problems due to overheating (applies to all notebooks).

So maybe I’ll return to my original plan and switch to a desktop. Better pay a much higher price and wait for delivery. I did some configuration and have a system

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7GHz, 64MB L3-Cache
  • MSI B550 Tomahawk | AMD B550
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB | Gainward Phoenix
  • 32GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance LPX | 2x 16GB
  • SSD (M.2 / PCIe) 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | bis zu 3.500 MB/s lesen
  • 4TB Western Digital WD Red | 5.400 RPM
  • 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B | WQHD, IPS, 144Hz

This configuration has a better CPU, a better GPU, an additional HDD for backups and low performance data and it has included a monitor.

It costs double the price compared to the notebook, but I have the feeling, that the investment might be worth it.

They claim delivery time of 3-4 weeks - hmm, not sure, if I can trust them, but the system looks much better.