Editor Freezing

Hi,
I’ve just downloaded the ARK dev kit and trying to setup a basic mod, so far its become unresponsive several times, twice copying blueprints from generic mod, and twice trying to save a new level, File > New level > Save. In the time i started writing this UE used up about 8GB memory and finally came good after about 10-15 mins now it looks like it saved. Is this normal? I’ve been using the standard version of UE for a while and never had these sorts of performance issues. Whys it struggling trying to create a blank level?

By the way here are my specs
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

Hey Nitro,

This is common even with my 32 gigs of ram and 3.8ghz processor. The first time you create a new level it can be fairly intensive, and it also I think has to do with HDD/SSD speed in the situation of saving content/loading content in a lot of situations. I see 5+ minute load times with making a new terrain quite often when map making as well. I did originally have the ADK on my SSD and saw reduction in some of these saving/loading times, but it got too big for it since I have my OS on my only SSD atm, so now its back on a HDD.

When you are creating a new level, I assume it is essentially “implementing” a ton of core coding thats required for it to function properly in ARK into it. I could be mistaken, but that is what I would assume is happening and why it uses up so much ram/cpu.

Don’t forget that first time launch will compile all the required shaders which will lag and freeze your editor until it is done, after that all the freezes are normal as it caches everything you do so as soon as its loaded its loaded :slight_smile: just suffer through it

I’ll tried opening the island and letting it do its thing. It still seems a bit buggy though. What does it need to do when creating a blank level, it shouldn’t have any of the game assets referenced? If i compare it the exact same steps show in the tutorial video () its basically instant, where mine took about 10-15mins of my ram slowly increasing and flowing over to my page file to save. Also in the standard version of UE it seems to be a lot more responsive when its processing stuff like this and normally gives you a loading bar of some sort. Is this just because they are using an older version of UE? (i think its 4.5 based on the about window)

Just copying the game more blueprint locks up the UI for 3-4 mins. I havn’t used UE on larger projects, is this something that degrades the larger the project? or is it something to do with my setup. I had to install UE on my Raided HDD’s drive because my little 250gb SSD just isn’t big enough for my OS, apps and UE engines + projects. Maybe i need to look at upgrading my SSD.

Out of interest is this something that they can easily update to provide new UE features, or would that require a game update as well?