Editor freezes when i do a "play in editor" (win7)

This is somewhat random. I’ll go a couple days without it freezing, and other days it happens several times. The worst part about it is I can’t simply kill it in task manager. It kills the editor, but won’t launch a new one until I restart. Also… I have to do a hard reboot. It hangs on a normal restart after the editor freeze. I do have a cintiq and an oculus connected. So perhaps related to one of them?

Hello paynter3D,

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I have few questions that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. What version of the engine are you using?
  2. Does this always happen with the same projects?
  3. Has this ever occurred with a clean project?
  4. Can you reproduce this in a clean project?
  5. If so, could you provide a detailed set of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  6. When the editor refuses to open, are the processes still running (you can use windows task manager to check this)?
  7. Are you working with multiple projects when this error occurs?

Hi Rudy,
I am using 4.7.3 and have only been working in one specific project. Haven’t tried with a clean project.
There is no specific steps i am doing as far as I can tell. Just hitting play, either play to VR or play in viewport.
Not working with multiple projects.
When it freezes, there are some tasks running still. When I kill the tasks and try to launch the editor again a new task does start, but nothing happens. I can log out, log back in, still won’t play. Until I do a hard reboot

Yesterday was crashing often. today I’ve just had a couple, One change i’ve been doing is making sure my view is not facing a character I have in the scene. Not sure if it is just coincidence or if it has something to do with the character but has been better today while doing that (though still did crash a couple times so might just be me being superstitous)

Hello paynter3D,

Thank you for the information. Can you get your project to freeze up and cause this issue reliably if you tried to replicate the issue on purpose? If so, would it be possible for you to send us a copy of your project so that we can try and narrow down what is causing your project to freeze up?

Hello paynter3D,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

I haven’t had a crash in a few days, and haven’t been able to make it crash. So seems to have worked itself out somehow. I’ll let you know if I start experiencing it again. Thanks