Editor Freeze- D3D11 time out when interacting with UI

Hello!

I went to boot up an old project on this computer - the computer it was made on, and I’ve historically used Unreal with - and I’m getting consistent freeze errors, with the error log consistently printing the following:

[2020.10.02-01.27.08:679][ 34]LogD3D11RHI: Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. (0.5 s) (ErrorCode 00000001)

Some notes:

1. The freeze is fixed by restarting the graphics adapter (CNTL+SHIFT+WINDOWS+B). Otherwise, the editor will freeze and crash completely, resulting in a complete freeze of my computer in some cases (requiring a full reboot).

2. While this is a laptop, the editor is correctly using my full graphics card (or so the error log says.)

3. Multiple suggested solutions on the internet did not fix my issue (updating drivers, increasing the wait time before the graphics card is declared idle and restarted, etc). I’m going to try one more thing, setting my project to default to Vulcan, just for completeness- but I don’t think it’ll work.

The steps to reproduce on my hardware is to simply boot up Unreal then interact with any UI element in the editor. Eventually, an interaction will cause a freeze. This is within a few seconds of clicking on multiple objects. (These freezes do not occur when using the view-port or running Play mode.) This makes UI intensive actions, which is most of them, unusably bad.

Crash log attached. link text

Clarification: when I say “full graphics card”, I mean the Nvdia 1660TI. There is an Intel onboard graphics chip, but it’s not being used.

It looks like the Vulcan switch may have fixed the issue, at least partially! But still confused as to why that would be the case, and I would prefer to be able to use DX12/DX11.

Vulcan switch does not fix the issue. Issue only occurs in full-screen.

Hi TheFirstKid.

I had the exact same problem as you. Tried all the different solutions mentioned online (TdrDelay set to a higher value, disabling visual stuff on W10, DDU removing the Nvidia drivers, updating and going back between versions of Nvidia Studio drivers…). No luck, all my installed UE4 versions (4.23.1, 4.24.3, 4.25.4 & 4.26p6) kept freezing when interacting with the UI in full-screen.

Nothing fixed it for me until I updated the integrated Intel Iris 630 graphics drivers using the ones from the Intel webpage (not the outdated ones from my laptop’s OEM webpage).

These are the ones:

I downloaded the EXE file but W10 didn’t update a thing. Then I downloaded the ZIP file and ran it from there. The screen flickered for a second, asked me to reboot and the Intel driver was updated. Problem solved!

I know it makes no sense on paper, but this fixed it for me, I guess it’s worth a try…

Good luck!

Man, good find! That’s indeed what the problem was. Turns out, Windows wasn’t auto-updating my laptop’s Intel driver- maybe because they hadn’t pushed a OEM version yet? Either way, things seem to be running fine now!

Great! I’m glad it worked for you, too! :slight_smile:

Didn’t windows reject the new driver install? I’m having the same issue but from what I’ve read it might do more harm than good installing a driver that’s not for your machine. Haven’t noticed anything weird? Is it really trustworthy to do the install against the OEM?

I guess it makes sense this issue since on laptops the default GPU is the processors integrated graphics (you can see it in the BIOS) so UE might be trying to do something that triggers Intel Graphics first…

This is indeed what’s happening. Various forms of this issue (onboard graphics not playing nice) can crop up on different laptop hardware configs- I’ve helped people a couple times with it now.

Worth noting that Intel’s driver installer will stop you if it’s not approved for that hardware and force you to go to the OEM, so it’s pretty safe to try. However, this can also result in not being able to fix the problem…

Hi Danimate,

Maybe I made it sound like I was installing a random Intel driver on my laptop, but this is not the case.

My laptop has a GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q plus an Intel UHD Graphics 630.
The driver that Gigabyte (my OEM) is providing on their website is a few versions older than the one directly from Intel. That’s the reason why I installed the one I put the link above. The same happens with the Nvidia driver Gigabyte provides: it’s an older version and I always install the one directly from Nvidia.

You just need to make sure that you are installing the correct driver for your Intel chip. And as TheFirstKid said, Intel’s driver installer will stop if it’s not approved for your hardware.

Cheers,
Martin.

For people landing on this from google.
My fix was intalling the AMD minimal driver instead of doing the full install of andrenalin.

I started getting this problem after installing my new 6700XT, but now everything works smoothly again.