Editor freeze and crash after clicking on the Content Browser

I’ve been using UE4 for more than two years now, and since yesterday the Editor keeps on freezing and dying on me, weirdly only when I click on the Content Browser window. I’m running UE4 in a 1 TB Samsung SSD 2.5" that has plenty space, in my laptop with an NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti, an Intel i7 8th Gen and 24 GB of memory.

It happens in any project, regardless of the content on it. I’ve tried with a blank project. I’ve tried with old working projects, it’s all the same…
Now the weird part is I can click or right-click on any other window, I can even freely navigate the 3D Viewport, the Outliner, the Modes window and everything works smoothly. It is only when I click or even hover the Content Browser that UE4 (4.25) fully freezes, and even freezes the rest of the OS. I’ve waited for more than 8 hours just letting the laptop be, but the whole system just doesn’t respond.
I’ve managed to figure out that if I turn off the screen (fn+F6) and turn it on again, UE just comes back to normal, opens up the crash report and a few seconds later freezes again (so I don’t know if the crash report is actually generated). If I turn off and on the screen again UE4 is already closed (so I never get even the chance to click on “Send and Close” on the crash screen).

From what I’ve read it seems some people are having issues when they use UE on a secondary monitor. I do have another monitor, but I’ve tried doing the same thing running it on either monitor or even disconnecting my second one and it’s the same story over and over…

Hello,

We’ve made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

Thanks,

Thank you!

It seems UE requires me to have its window opened on my secondary screen always, if I don’t I will innevitably crash on me… I can’t understand why this would be an issue… And now I can never use UE on my main display then?
Please help! My job requieres me to work on UE sometimes only on my laptop without my extra screen…

It seems I need to have the editor on window mode so it doesn’t freeze. I’ve seen in this page Editor Freeze- D3D11 time out when interacting with UI - Platform & Builds - Unreal Engine Forums that it may be an Intel Graphics driver issue but I can’t update my driver since my computer doesn’t allow me to install the ones that are not OEM. Is there something I can do?

1 Like