Editor crashing when deleting actor object(s)

After spending a lot of time and effort leaning to write c++ code to create a method to proceduraly create content in Unreal Engine,I have finally found a deal breaker for me to continue to do so with UE that I cannot find a workaround or a solution.

The unreal engine editor itself. Displayed in the attached figure is one of my procedural generators created as a plugin. This being a fractal generator and what is displayed are about a hundred actor objects.

If I select a group of these objects or all of them, and then delete them either via the menu option or pressing the delete key on my computer, they are usualy deleted in the first attempt without any problems. However, if I regenerate this a second time, there is a high probability that deleting any number of objects results in the editor crashing. I have also found that after a deletion,UE can also crash if I enter the play mode.

Doing an internet search I have found that this is a problem with UE for years with no explanation or remedy given. It seems sending a crash report will do no good as this is a known problem. How on earth do game developers get around this and how do they put up with it?

To proceed further using UE I need a reliable editor that can handle hundreds of objects that can be safely deleted without the editor constantly crashing. What I am creating is something for procedural content generation, and having an editor that cannot handle simple functionality like deleting selected content will drive users crazy having to save every time before deleting even a single object.

I suspect this is happening due to the undo/redo feature or something to do with the way the editor stores object data within it memory. Whatever the reason, is there a workaround or some method to avoid the UE editor crashing so consistantly, even if it means disabling the undo/redo feature?

If this cannot be overcome, I will have to take my project else where, but would rather not. Other than this, UE is the best option I have found thus far and would I like to continue to use it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

How do you generate your objects?

In short, I use a recursive routine that creates child objects of a seed object and use the actor child parent attributes to link them. The location of each child object is a relative location to its parent. Each child object uses the attributes of its parent object to determine a relative scale and rotation to its parent.

For each iteration, each child then becomes a parent to the next generation and the above process is repeated. A custom actor object was created to do this with a function to change its default mesh to a selected mesh and another for its scale.

I had other problems deleting objects that crashed the editor which was solved by unlinking the parent-child relationships in the actor Destroyed function.

Hope this is enough information,

It is important how do you create objects (which API, from which engine place etc), where store pointers at objects, how you’re deleting objects, where it crashed, etc.

Sorry for this late response, but I have been busy testing the ideas I have come up here to be used in Blender 2.8 beta. Something I was thinking of doing anyway, but deterred from doing because of not liking to have to learn and use Python, and was waiting for the production version of Blender to be released.

Well that is completed after a weeks effort and I have decided to now proceed with what I was doing here in Blender. As it turned out, it was not as difficult to migrate as I thought using tools and methods I have already developed or found. I can spawn and delete meshes with no problems at all in Blender.

I intend to return to Unreal with an improved and better method of creating procedural content creation based upon the method I am using to do the same in Blender.

Thank you for your response,I much appreciate it.

Same problem. Didn’t find solution

Same problem. Didn’t find solution

Same problem, Didn’t find a solution still… And nothing from EPIC?