Download

Editor crashing upon startup

Every time I open my .uproject file, the editor crashes while loading. The crash report log suggested the error was in one of my class constructors, so I found what it was complaining about and commented out the offending code.

After cleaning and building the project and solution in Visual Studio, the error still persists. It is still complaining about line 29 of my constructor, even after I deleted the whole body of the constructor and made sure the file has no line 29.

So, it looks like UE4 is looking at old code somehow. Any suggestions as to how to stop this from happening? Thanks in advance.

If it helps at all, this is the text that appears in the crash report window:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_Gravitas_7788!AGravitasBox::AGravitasBox() + 303 bytes [f:\projects (ue4)\gravitas\source\gravitas\gravitasbox.cpp:29]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UClass::CreateDefaultObject() + 435 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\class.cpp:2506]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObjectLoadAllCompiledInDefaultProperties() + 805 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectbase.cpp:739]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!ProcessNewlyLoadedUObjects() + 146 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectbase.cpp:815]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void)>::ExecuteIfSafe() + 7 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:921]
UE4Editor_Core!TBaseMulticastDelegate<void>::Broadcast() + 149 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:1030]
UE4Editor_Core!FModuleManager::LoadModuleWithFailureReason() + 2194 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\modules\modulemanager.cpp:359]
UE4Editor_Projects!FModuleDescriptor::LoadModulesForPhase() + 784 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\moduledescriptor.cpp:350]
UE4Editor_Projects!FProjectManager::LoadModulesForProject() + 581 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\projectmanager.cpp:53]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::LoadStartupModules() + 705 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1863]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() + 11141 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1400]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 251 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

I assume most of this is a stack trace, and that the second line (the one that mentions the AGravitasBox class) is supposed to be reporting the offending code. The problem is, I keep getting this exact same stack trace even after re-writing AGravitasBox, or deleting the class files entirely. This leads me to believe my code is being cached somewhere, even after running Clean Solution in Visual Studio. If anyone could shed any light on what the issue might be, I’d very much appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Be sure you removed it from the .H file as well and double check which parts you removed.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think there’s a .h file somewhere in my code that I’m not seeing? The problem persists even after deleting GravitasBox.h and GravitasBox.cpp entirely (that is, I get the same error message complaining about line 29 of GravitasBox.cpp).

Hmm, so the editor seems to load just fine if I open it by debugging in Visual Studio. However, it still crashes when I try to open the .uproject file or open it through the launcher. Any idea why that would be?