Editor crashes instead of showing errors when reimporting ShooterGame FBX files

If you import a FBX file which has errors in it to a new asset, these errors will be shown to the user and the process will fail. However, if you reimport into an already existing asset the editor just crashes. I would expect both to behave in the same way and tell the user what the errors are.

I’ve tested this in ShooterGame with both Rifle and HeroFPP. If I export these out of UE4, export them again from 3D Studio MAX and then try to reimport into UE4, it crashes.

Hi Stefan -

I am unable to reproduce a crash exporting those assets and reimporting via 3dsMax. Can you please makes sure to submit the crash you are getting via teh Crash Reporter and post your Machine ID here?

You may want to make sure that you are exporting from Max as FBX 2014/2015 version and not 2016 version which has been known to cause issues including crashes in 4.10.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Sorry, I was away for a few days.

1. Exporting as 2014/2015 results inthe same crash for me.
  2. If I use a “Debug Editor” build, I get no crash at all. It just dies straight to desktop.
  3. If I use a “Debug Game” build, I get a crash but there’s no stack trace:

MachineId:E15F63E346F8C6B28CC98EAEB584BF84

No minidump found for this crash.

You can find the 2014/2015 FBX file here.

Note: This only happens when I reimport. If I import into a new asset, there’s an error instead which tells me the file has duplicate nodes in it. This is what I expected from the reimport-process.

Hi Stefan -

Thank you for your additional information. I was able to reproduce the crash internally and the good news is it looks to be corrected in 4.11 and we were tracking the issue as UE-19742.

Let me know if I can help you with anything further -

Eric Ketchum