Editor crashes at startup when I change one blueprint

​​Hello, I was working in this project a couple of weeks now, and now when I make **any **change to one of my blueprints (even if it is a cosmetic change, like moving the position of a node, that doesn´t require to recompile) and save it, I am not able to get into the Editor again, because it crashes completely when starting.
Luckily I am using perforce, so I made many tests, but nothing seems to work.

I also tried migrating the used content to a new project, and even without perforce, but every time happens the same.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64
8bfb2e753c352d2d4f9b04d4a2ea909aab08b35b.jpeg

I am including also the Log files from the Error:

CrashFolder.zip (167 KB)

Thank you !!,

I created a clean Level, not using that blueprint. After modifying something in the blueprint, saving, and loading again, it loads the new clean map, but as soon as I try to open any blueprint that contains the one with the problem the Editor crashes without any message.

I am trying now an older version of the blueprint, but I need to know if someone knows, what could cause that type of error, so I can avoid it, if not is very probable for me to make the same thing and get the same problem…

Thanks…

I corrected the problem using perforce but never found what was the problem… hope to not have it again or to find what it was…

I recently came a somewhat similar issue with a EAV error, and it turned out the culprit was as easy as replacing the GameEngine.ini with a working one.

I will go back in Perforce and try it, and see if it works for me too… thanks…

Thank you, but It didn´t in my case… same error, I will keep working and see if the problem appears again, and check if I found what was in my case…

Hello post from the grave. I’m coming in years late with what fixed it for me, since this is the only topic I’ve seen with the same symptoms.

My Symptoms

• Changing one particular blueprint, even just moving a node and saving, caused the editor to crash on the next startup (it could still play and compile everything fine in-editor).
  • I pinned down the one blueprint by reverting everything in the last commit, then moving each changed BP forward to the latest (broken) commit until I found the one that cause problems.

The Problem

• Not on the latest change where things broke, but in the change prior, I added a new enumerator to an enum file, which was used in a structure, which was used as a variable in the problem blueprint.
  • According to the version control comparison, after I added the enumerator, the struct lost it’s little dropdown carrot arrow. It’s almost like adding the new enumerator caused the structure to lose all it’s metadata or something, but things still could compile because the variable reference existed.

The Solution

• I created a new variable in the problem blueprint, VarName_V2, and set it as the same structure. I think doing this caused the proper structure data with the new enumerations to actually exist in the variable.
  • I used the replace references function to swap the old broken structure variable, VarName, with VarName_V2.
  • I deleted the original variable, VarName.
  • Saved everything (there we a lot of other blueprints referencing this structure variable).
  • Closed and restarted editor.
  • I can now edit the problem blueprint, save, and the editor will not crash on startup.

I’m not sure why adding the new enumeration cause this issue. The last time I added an enumeration to this particular enum, nothing bad happened. I think that I may have added a reference to the structure variable that isn’t updated to the new structure data when the enum in the stucture in the variable is changed, but can’t say for sure.

TLDR
If you are from the future, and have pinpointed which BP is crashing the editor on startup when you change anything in it, try replacing your structure variables with new variables of the exact same structure.