Editor crash with "GPUSkinCache.cpp"

hey there,

just updated to 5.4 and now I´m geting crashs with a blueprint I´ve been working on for a while.
Its rather complex with 300plus skeletal meshes (modular human anatomy model) and I don´t really know what I´m doing with blueprints.
I´ve seen a few other posts with the issue and unfortunately I don´t have the time right now to do all the steps for a proper bug report, but I´d thought I´d report it anyways.

Last error before crash in the crashlog:

[2024.04.29-06.57.03:063][ 57]LogWindows: Error: appError called: Assertion failed: DispatchData.PreviousPositionBuffer != DispatchData.PositionBuffer [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\GPUSkinCache.cpp] [Line: 2056]

Whats weird: There is no Unreal data on drive D to my knowledge and that folder certainly doesn´t exist.

Ok, so I´ve troubleshooted this some more and was able to find a workaround for now.
I had to disable “support hardware raytracing” and then I could uncheck “Use compute skin cache”, which solved the crashes for me.

Not happy with this, so if anyone finds a better solution or this IS a bug, I´d be happy to hear!

1 Like

I’m getting this one too… Happens everytime I open a dropdown menu for a Skeletal Mesh variable.

Edit: I have my project on the D: drive, but Unreal is installed on C:… Maybe that’s the issue? I’m not really in a spot where I’d like to change that setup right now.

Version 5.4.1 encountered the same issue (which occurred in the packaged test game), and I attempted to resolve it using the first response method. I hope the engine can solve this bug.