Editor crash when calling function on default object of blueprint child

When calling a function from an object gotten from subclass->GetDefaultObject() the editor crashes if the subclass is a blueprint. It doesn’t crash if the subclass is c++. This didn’t happen in 4.15 so i’m pretty sure it’s a bug.

Hey Ispheria-

Can you provide the callstack and logs from the crash for additional information? Also, what does your setup look like in code? When you say that your subclass is a blueprint, I assume you’re using a Constructor Helper to get a reference to your blueprint? Can you provide the code setup you’re using that’s causing the crash?

I should probably add that it only crashes if i override the function i call in the blueprint. if i just leave it off the graph, it calls the parent function. But if it’s on the graph, it causes a crash, even if the only thing it does is call the parent function

Hey Ispheria-

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.

Cheers

I’m pretty sure we are experiencing the same bug, causing a crash in 4.16 (editor and packaged). I was able to reproduce it in a sample C++ project.

1. On the “main” map level blueprint on Event BeginPlay I cast the child actor component class (BP_MyActorComponent_Child) to it’s parent and get the default object to call OnUpdate function. It will crash because I’m overriding OnUpdate on the child class.
  2. Now remove the override in the child class (delete the whole in it’s event graph) and it will no longer crash and will call the default parent (BP_MyActorComponent) OnUpdate which will print a message.

If you do this test in 4.15 it works without issues.

link text

Hi , any progress on this issue?

Hey Raf-

Yes, this issue was reproduced and reported here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-46534) . You can track the report’s status as the issue is reviewed by our development staff. Please be aware that this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon.

Cheers