Editor Crash Related to Translucent Water Blueprint

Right so, as is customary, I will provide the crash dump from the editor, but first, some context. This is a simple level causing the crashes. Only things in it are a terrain with no texture or modification (large scale, however), the water-planes pack, with a translucent water plane, a playerstart, the skydome, the default atmospheric scattering component, and a directional light. The crash first happened upon hitting play, after having set up water in the scene. From this point on, I can no longer load the level. What is responsible is not clear, but having updated graphics drivers, and DDU’d, there is still a crash. Now for the dump:

Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.16+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 798]
Rendering thread exception:
Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.16+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 181]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - ‘HUNG’)

KERNELBASE.dll!0x00000000430B9E08
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:120]
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:70]
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:349]
UE4Editor-D3D11RHI.dll!TerminateOnDeviceRemoved() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11util.cpp:191]
UE4Editor-D3D11RHI.dll!VerifyD3D11Result() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11util.cpp:230]
UE4Editor-D3D11RHI.dll!FD3D11DynamicRHI::ReadSurfaceDataNoMSAARaw() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11rendertarget.cpp:608]
UE4Editor-D3D11RHI.dll!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHIReadSurfaceData() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11rendertarget.cpp:956]
UE4Editor-RHI.dll!FRHICommandListImmediate::ReadSurfaceData() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\rhicommandlist.h:3129]
UE4Editor-Engine.dll!TGraphTask<FRenderTarget::ReadPixels'::2’::EURCMacro_ReadSurfaceCommand>::ExecuteTask() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:883]
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:954]
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:701]
UE4Editor-RenderCore.dll!RenderingThreadMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:327]
UE4Editor-RenderCore.dll!FRenderingThread::Run() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:461]
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:76]
UE4Editor-Core.dll!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.16+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:33]
KERNEL32.DLL!0x0000000044722774
ntdll.dll!0x0000000046B50D61
ntdll.dll!0x0000000046B50D61

EDIT:
Upon further investigation, this is caused by the translucent-water water plane blueprint. It is not clear as to why, as there are no compile errors within the material. Perhaps this is related to the new volumetric features modifying some aspect of translucent shading? I will proceed to test ocean water as well…

EDIT: It is not caused by any of the materials, including the very instance utilized by the material blueprint.
It does, however, crash, when played with the actual water plane blueprint. The immediate logic seems to be that, perhaps, with the new volumetric system, including volumetric surface translucency, the absence of thickness and, instead, the presence of a mere plane, causes some sort of issue? I’m not quite sure. To reproduce, download the water planes pack, add the translucency plane to the level, and press play. It will crash and will never load the level again without the same crash. It still works in-editor until one hits the play button…

Furthermore, upon further testing, the same instance works just fine on a plane with absolutely no volume, and the blueprint consistently crashes despite removing everything from the construction script. With nothing but variables and a single static mesh with the material instance applied… HMMMMMMM…

Very odd.

@Skunkmeister I’ve experienced a similar issue, appears to be due to relatively recent GeForce drivers: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/667358/unreal-editor-crashes-on-level-load-on-recent-gefo.html

Did you test drivers earlier than 382.33?

I have not, I’ll mark this as resolved, thanks!