Editor Becomes Black Screen When Windows Monitor Layout Changes

When using multiple monitor layouts in Windows, the UE4 editor becomes a black screen blob if the monitor layout changes (disable second monitor and convert to single monitor screen space, etc.).

I can still right-click and see menus, as well as Alt+F4 to save and exit the editor and relaunch it.

Hello jwfitt,

Thank you for your report. We have attempted to recreate the issue that you have been having with multiple monitors and were unsuccessful.

As per following the steps listed, I opened the editor, went into my control panel and switched from 2 monitors to 1. The screen in the editor never turned black. If there are any other steps that occurred during the previous steps that you have provided, they would be beneficial in our attempt to further investigate this issue.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for looking into it Sean. I am not sure if it is a special case scenario, but I can reproduce it by doing the steps you mentioned, however the screen of the UE4 window does not always go black.

In the several tests I just tried with the editor window not fully maximized, the majority of the window stays intact when disconnecting my second display. If I try to switch from a maximized window to a full-screened window after this, only a portion of the editor seems to be rendered correctly.

If I repeat this test, but this time with the editor full-screened and I disconnect the second display the editor starts to go into very strange rendering modes in windows (I can see parts of the window and it responds to right clicks and keyboard commands). If I hover over the editor in the windows taskbar and attempt to restore the window from here, I usually get a black screen editor or just a small rectangular black shape visible on top of my windows desktop. Again, I can still see right-click menus for the editor and use keyboard commands.

Howdy again,

I have attempted to recreate the issue with the additional information that you have provided but the error still does not occur on my system. Here is what I have been doing for reference:

I have brought up the editor, tried both full screen and windowed, unplugged both monitors with the editor on each (pending on the editor placement), even disconnected the main view port from the editor but no luck.

Would it be possible to capture a screenshot or perhaps a video so I could further investigate the issue.

Thank you for your patience!

Sure, it seems to happen most regularly when UE4 is full screen, on the non primary display, and the primary display gets disconnected. Attached is a short video.

I’m on a laptop with a nvidia 680m (which also has an integrated Intel HD 4000), but everything is set to use the nvidia GPU by default. I have 2 external monitors plugged into the laptop.

video link

Thank for the Video that you have provided. This is definitely a setup scenario that we have not tested previously to you coming across this issue. I will talk to the platform team about investigating it further.

Thank you for your patience again as we test it here.

No problem, it’s certainly not a dire issue. Just wanted to share.

I also had this issue for a while on my 4k screen. In fullscreen the editor went black and the right click menus in non fullscreen also became black.
Solution for me was to turn on HDR in the Display settings for that 4k screen. After I turned HDR on everything works fine since some hours.

Hope this helps and solved the issue!