Edit HDRI backgrounds

Hello. I'd like to know if it is possible to download the original HDRI files for all the backgrounds we have access in the environmental backgrounds in Twinmotion.

My intention is to edit our own backgrounds from the site itself with some of the sky backgrounds from Twinmotion, or just edit some of them to add a few features. The issue is that beforehand we'd use the DOME object, plus our own contextualized backgrounds with a opacity mask. This is a lot of work that would be a lot easier if we could just use your backdrop object with your backdrop HDRIs.

I understand there might be IP issues, but my hope remains and thus, my questions. Thank you.

Hi ,

You are free to download and modify any of the content inside Twinmotion, with the HDRI backgrounds included, so long as you only plan to use them in Twinmotion or Unreal Engine. You can refer to the Twinmotion EULA for more details.

Best,

Raghib

The intent is precisely to use them in Twinmotion. We have a drone that is really good at capturing panoramas and automatically stitch them, but it does not capture anything meaningfully above it, cutting at around 20 degrees or such. The idea is to easily edit these panoramas with some of TM's HDRI backgrounds, and get both good rendered skies and being locally correct.

However, I have no idea how I can do this. I can download the backgrounds, but they are complete tmi files, as far as I am aware. Where is it possible to download them just as jpegs (or hdr? or exr?) I've downloaded a few open source alternatives thus far, but I'd rather use TM's, some of them are really good.

Thanks.

The HDRI files, when you download them should appear in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Twinmotion2023.1\TwinmotionCloudLibrary\CloudLibrary folder by default. Each one you download will be downloaded into a unique subfolder at that file path. The folders have a unique string name based on their asset ID inside Twinmotion, so unfortunately these aren't easy to identify if you have a lot of downloaded Cloud Library items.

Once you identify the proper subfolder, it should contain the backdrops as 3 .HDR files for 2K, 4K, and 8K resolutions.

Here is an example of the file path for one of the downloaded HDRI backdrops.

I hope this helps,

Best,

Raghib

It does, thank you! My CloudLibrary folder only had .tmi files in it, and thus I never suspected that TM would actually download the image files. Apparently though, when I looked at the same folder but from version 2022.2, I found a couple of these!

If I am to guess, I'd say that TM 2023 is either getting those original files from the 2022 folder, or it is creating tmi files whenever I use the environment backdrop object tool directly, bypassing the creation of the image files. I will have to experiment a bit. Maybe if I go directly to the hdri image folder and download directly from there, then it creates these neat folders like you showed.

Regardless, I'm happy. Thank you very much!