EDC Update: Welcome Capturing Reality, added localization, and next steps

Hi everyone!

We continue to invest a lot of time and effort into creating the best-possible development resource for you, and wanted to provide an update on what we’ve been working on with the Epic Developer Community.

Localization

We’ve recently localized the site interface into Spanish, Portuguese (Brazilian), French, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese.

The tutorial library also supports these languages, and we’re in the process of localizing the course library. Most courses are already available in Japanese, Chinese and Korean—93 to be precise! French, Portuguese and Spanish versions are in progress, with 27 courses available at this time. Additional localized courses will be added as they are translated.

And of course, everyone is welcome to write and submit content in any of these, or any other language! There are already 100 community tutorials in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, and over a 100 tutorials in a variety of other languages on the Dev Community. Thanks everyone!

Expanding the Dev Community

The other big change you may have noticed is Capturing Reality has joined the Dev Community!

We want to support more Epic dev tools and services, and create the same kind of user experience and functionality for sharing or asking technical questions across the board. This not only provides space for these other tools, but hopefully drives cross-collaboration between the Unreal Engine, RealityCapture, and incoming tool communities—the more everyone shares, the better the EDC becomes at supporting everyone!

How’s it going to work? RealityCapture is the first to come into the site.

Each item will have its own “mode’ - different variations of the forum and website.

It is very important for us that each part of the community feels at home within their own space. For example, to help ensure this, the Unreal Engine experience remains exactly as it is, aside from the inclusion of the extra menu bar at the top.

Even though each item has a dedicated space, forum posts, questions, and tutorials can be cross posted between multiple modes in order to share knowledge when relevant to more than one space. For example, a tutorial can be listed under both Unreal Engine and RealityCapture.

Bringing it all together

Another major project that we’ve started is bridging the gap between the Developer Community and Documentation. We are building a new documentation backend, authoring, and frontend solution, all based on the Dev Community codebase that will pave the way for a host of improvements.

By unifying Documentation with the Developer Community, we’ll make it a one-stop shop for all docs, tutorials, discussions, questions, and snippets, with one unified search and one consistent user experience.

More on this in the months to come. Thanks again for being part of the Epic Developer Community!

10 Likes

did someone break the forums with the addition of this?

I now can no longer create discussion post or question post at all…

Hey @kurylo3d,

Some bugs occurred with the posting of discussions/questions- these have now been resolved, and you shouldn’t have any issue posting from now on. If you do have any problems, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

Thanks!

1 Like

I am a beginner UE5.03
I also had issues around that date and have tried since to pin new posts/question
with no success.

I can only reply to existing threads etc

Would be great to have a section for BEGINNERS to ask questions and
make the process easier as so many choice to be filled aren’t obvious to newbie 55+ like myself.
Which community, tags etc it’s all VERY confusing.

Hey @visualsenses and welcome to the community!

Only staff can pin topics for others to see. It’s a means for us highlight topics we find important to the broader community. That said, once you’ve read something, you have the option to unpin it.

Looking the image, I think the issue is you’re attempting to post in the top level of the Community Category, versus a subcategory. We’d recommend posting your question in the relevant category under #development-discussion for technical questions.

We do hear that the posting flow isn’t particularly intuitive and have removed a number of the tag requirements, until we find a better solution.

Thanks for the feedback and let us know if we can help.

Even very late simply due to life running faster than available time to learn more UE
I finally saw your reply.
I have asked a few more questions I hope I did it in the right place. Not really sure

I want to ask. Do you know of any IN PERSON course that is taught for an “affordable fee” for UE beginners in Vancouver Canada or near by or a boot camp for beginners etc.
I am very creative and design large buildings and am 55+
I want rather NEED to get away from subscription like SKU etc
that is why I want to learn UE somewhere one can follow classes.
I have a certificate in SKU 19 and Revit
but UE is a totally different worl where every check to tik in is a mystery
I still have’t found an e-book or URL where there are most if not all
explanation of all possible settings
Even very simple ones where one does not need to know the jargon(lingo)
to make an imported model visible to the eye.
The first I mananged was pure hasard and I can’t recal the settings if they were
default or others.
Since then I learned on the SKU forum that the option import dual faces need to be checked I have done so and also triangulated .Now I have 50.000 meshes
and still CAN’T SEE my model and don’t know where to click to SEE IT.
Thank you for your time