Dynamic Rope/Cable Plugin

It works perfectly now. Thank you. I must say you really did a good job. The component consist everything i needed and more.

That’s awesome news! Thank you for helping me figure out the bug between the two UE4 versions, would have never found it!

I’m still adding features and reworking a few API related bits which will be in the next update. Some will require you to redo a few settings and others will be simple additions.

Please report any bugs you find. And feel free to share any creations!

Hi! Thank you for sharing the plugin with us, the price is pretty reasonable - but I’ll need to wait Mac version and mainly, you add PayPal as a payment method - for now looks like only Credit Card is support, can’t you add a way to pay with PayPal?

Kind Regards.

Hi ,

PayPal has been added, there are not very many good merchant services that take PayPal. as I discovered. Surprised me actually.
Mac will be tested today and may or may not be included in the next update but it will be in the one after that for sure.

Thank you for the feedback!

Before i purchase, do you mind a quick question? Would it be possible to use this plugin to attach a rope/cable to an actor in one end and the other end to a static point, and by moving the actor the rope/cable “stretches” out? I think what i want to know is; can the rope/cable support dynamic length?

Thank you for adding PayPal. Please post here when Mac version is done :slight_smile:

Oh, quick question - is creating something like this video ropes - Guedin's Attack on Titan Fan Game - WIP 05 - YouTube - possible?! If yes, what approach would you use to get this result?!

Kind Regards,

Yes, but there is a caveat: the rope does not yet transfer tension forces to attached actors. this means that either actor can keep stretching it for as long as they wish. To limit that I would simply do a Distance check on the pulling actor and if he is beyond the max stretch distance move him to the max stretch distance.

Let me know if this makes sense.

I have been thinking about implementing the transfer of tension forces to the attached actors but I’m not sure if this is a needed feature or not. Feedback welcome on this.

Like I said above, the tension force is not yet transferred between the rope and attached actor. To get the effect in that video I would do something like this:
Ray cast to fix an end point to the hit location.
Create a Physics Constraint between the fixed point(Every point on the rope has an associated BodyInstance which can be used for the constraint) and the swinging Actor.
Once ready to release, break the Physics constraint and remove the fixed rope point (possibly hide the rope itself depending on the effect you want.
To pull towards the grappled point, you could Interpolate the constraint distance and limit the rotation freedom to avoid changing the angle due to gravity.

That’s one way I can think of off the top of my head.

Funny rope. I think i wait for a one good tutorial. I cant get the overlap collisions to working properly. Meanwhile i’m gonna do other parts of the project. Hmm, could you tell a quick idea of how to implement the system where player can simply climb up/down with the rope actor in paper-sprite mode? The collision with world works flawlessly but i cant get a collision with a player at all. Do you recommend to create first the rope actor and then add some component on it or first create some actor and then add rope actor as a component?

Also should i use trace or some other system to get player to move as the rope moves when climbing?

Thank you.

Are you trying to do collision with Paper2D sprites? if so are they using 2D or 3D collision? I have not tested collision with sprites yet, but the first thing to check is the CollisionEnabled property on the rope, it is set to No Collision by default. The other thing is that currently the ropes collision is made up of Spheres which means that there are gaps between each Rope BodyInstance. I will be adding the option to have Capsules soon to reduce the gaps but for now you can try increasing the number of segments. And you can Enable Render Debug option to see where each Body is along the rope.

To walk over the rope, I think I need to add an option to disable HitForces for this scenario. I’ll add this to my test case level and will report back. In any case it will be possibly to achieve what you want after I make the changes.

Hello, just what i need. I bought the plugin and have installed it.
Now, i have another question. After i have spawned my rope, attached it to the socket in the hand of my character and enabled collisions the rope “tugs” on the player character really bad when moving around.
I have one point attached in the air and the other in the characters hand and have made the rope 800 units long. How can i make the rope not behave like this? Tried changing the mass and dampening on the rope. I want the rope to have collision (i.e lay on the ground) but also have the character be able to “drag” it behind him.

Hi!

Thank you for the help. I guess it’s an useful help implement this feature, because usually when involving ropes, we want apply forces to it or hold something with that - a lot of things can be made.

Unity has a very great add-on of a rope system - check it - Unity Asset Store - The Best Assets for Game Making - see the example with the machines?! I guess you can have a good idea of what I mean now.

Kind Regards.

Ah, this means you character is simulating physics and the rope is trying to transfer the hit forces to him. I’ll add a float scalar to modulate the hit forces that are transferred back to the character. Should fix the issue you are seeing.

Thank you! I have been looking for an easy system like this for the better part of an month. This plugin made my week!

QuickRopes looks really good but there is one big difference between QuickRopes and my DynamicRopesSystem and that is that QuickRopes uses RigidBodies and Physics Constraints to build the ropes/chains therefore getting perfect interaction with other RigidBodies. Whereas the DynamicRopeSystem uses an internal Simulation to create and simulate the rope with an “interface” that essentially channels the simulated Rope Physics to the RigidBodies in your level.

The important thing to note though is that it’s not impossible to get the QuickRopes features implemented, it will simply take time and more effort.

You are very welcome. Happy to help.

Thank you for answer, that’s the most important part - being able to implement features - actually I don’t even know if you have interest in keep or build a complete plugin to manage ropes in games (since it’s really easier when you have a ready solution) - but I would love seeing this becoming a complete system to games that use ropes or even simulations that use it as well.

Kind Regards.

Well this started out as a feature for our game, AAW3, to do the ropes in the ring. It came together pretty well so I decided to put it up for others if they are interested. From here i’m more then willing to build this system up if there is demand for it. I have many features and improvements in-mind already that I will implement. It’s simply a matter of having time between work on AAW3 . In short, yes the plan is to further build this into a complete rope/cable/whatever else system for UE4.

Update 1.2 has been released!

This update includes the fallowing changes:
Fixed RopeComponent Blueprint Node not showing up.
Refactored SkinnedRopeComponent properties to properly work in the Components Tab in Blueprints.

I’m almost ready to get the Mac version built. Hoping to have it included in the 1.3 update.

This looks pretty awesome! Would it be possible to spawn / destroy links of the rope / chain? Thinking about how you could use this to fire a harpoon or grappling hook … Could be pretty rad!