Dynamic Rope/Cable Plugin

Thank you.

Because the Marketplace does not yet support Plugins with DLLs I’ll put it up on my site for now and once support arrives on the Marketplace it will be on there.

Also, quick update:
I setup a couple Attach to Bones/Sockets tests and I’ll have a small demo up today to show that. To get the first version up, I need to update a few things on my site which I’ll hopefully get done today and get the release up tonight or tomorrow.

I’m looking to do a Tutorial video to show how everything works, wanted to ask what things would you like to see the most?

Update 3:
Created test cases for Attaching to Sockets/Bones and having Character Collision:

As always, please post any comments questions or requests.

Btw,
I have my website almost ready for the first release, just need to finish testing distribution tonight.

As promised here is the link to my website where you can purchase the first release of this plugin. Please note that it is Win64 only for now, I will add Mac on the next update along with Win32 if anyone needs it.

This page also has a more in-depth dev blog on how the core of this Rope System was created.
Link: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/development-blog/item/dynamic-rope-cable-system-for-ue4

If you run into any trouble please post here. If it’s order specific please email me directly: ujen@vicogamestudio.com

Thank you.

Umm, im kinda lost here. I havent installed any plugins manually in UE4, so how does this actually works? I copy files to some plugin directory and is this your system then implemented in the cable actor or what? And i undestrand that his version you now released works with blueprints? Also if one is to buy the plugin now can the buyer get upcoming versions for free?

also, you said requests are welcome, so i make one :). How about a grappling hook example or something similar?

Thanks

It’s pretty simple actually, copy the folder VICODynamicRopeSystem to your games Plugins folder and that’s it. Check in the editor that it is enabled by going into Window->Plugins, check under VICO category. After this you will find the RopeComponent and SkinnedRopeComponent under Add Component in a Blueprint as well as RopeActor and SkinnedRopeActor which you can directly drag into a level or use as a Parent for your Blueprint.

Yes, all future updates are free.

I’m actually nearly done with making a sample grappling hook but beware that it is programmer art :wink:

Thanks. There seems to be some problems launching the plugin. It says that 4.5 is wrong version and with 4.6 it says almost the same:
a.png

What version did you use this?

We are on 4.6.1 here. And we tested it only with 4.6.1. I could package different engine builds in the next update if needed.

That would be great. I have 4.6.1 too, but it says something like this
hmm.png

I copied the folder in: C:\Program Files\UE4\Unreal Engine\4.6\Engine\Plugins\VICODynamicRopeSystem.

edit: If i try to open project it says what i pasted above and if i try to run the 4.6.1 engine it says one i pasted below.

Could you try putting the plugin folder into your games’ Plugins folder not the Engines one? Apologizes for the trouble, this is my first public release, still some things need to be ironed out.

Do you mean documents/unreal projects/“myproject”/plugins folder or what? I have tried to find some plugin folder but no luck. I tried to go to project and create plugin folder manually and paste your folder there but it says the same error. Not sure if i am doing something wrong or what is the problem :S

Yes, correct. in “ProjectFolder”/Plugins paste the VICODynamicRopeSystem folder. Create the Plugins folder if needed. Remove it from Engine/Plugins and then open the project with 4.6.1 version of the engine. Post any errors you may get and we’ll get it sorted.

Hmm. strange. I tried to do everything from beginning. Removed plugin folder from engine and then created a plain new project with 4.6.1. Closed the project. Created a plugin folder and pasted your folder inside it.

It says this again. Oh no:(
a.png

Aha, I think I know exactly what it is! Let me test it on my end and if it is what I think it is I’ll push an update out ASAP.

I just tested it with a fresh UE4 4.6.1 from GitHub and created a new Blueprint Blank Project, then copied the VICODynamicRopeSystem from the Zip file into Engine/Plugins and restarted the Editor. Everything showed up. I also tried removing it from Engine/Plugins and put it into “ProjectFolder”/Plugins and that worked too.

Are you using Win64 or Win32 version of the Editor?

64bit. Okay, i uninstall my engine now and do a fresh start too and see if it helps. I dont have active account right now but i think that should not matter or is there some updates i missed lately?

Active account should not matter. I tested so far with 4.6.1 only but I’ll grab 4.5.1 to test as well. Let me know if the fresh install helps.

Like I said, I just copied the plugin into Engine/Plugins and ran the fresh project so I don’t see why it should not work on your end.

Uah. Still not working. It say the same DLL problem. Frustrating. I tried both. Copied it into the engine/plugins and it didnt work, after that i copied it into project folder and still no luck. Two different error messages. Same as before. Oh well… getting tired, i try to solve this tomorrow.

Are you sure you are not accidentally sharing different files that you are using?

I have some good news! I finally reproduced the error you are getting, I’m testing the fix now.

Even better news! Found the root cause of the errors and made a fix that I am uploading now.

It turns out that the Engine built from GitHub sources is slightly different in versioning then the binary version you get via the launcher. So I had to make two different builds, one for the Engine built from Source and one for the Binary Engine. You simply pick the one you need.

An update has been uploaded that adds binaries for people who are using the Binary UE4 version from the UnrealLauncher. This will fix the Missing Modules error for those using the Unreal Launcher version of UE4.

A feature update is on its way as well, along with binaries for the Mac platform.