While stumbling through some old Siggraph slides, I noticed a occlusion culling technique used in Killzone 3:
As far as I understood they render the bounding box/ simplified collision meshes into a lower resolution buffer. With this they check if an object is occluded by another and skip the rendering of the occluded object.
The advantages as they state are:
-Easy to understand/ tweak
-Works with dynamic objects
I don’t know how good this approuch is, but I find the idea pretty intressting and would love to hear some opinions.
As far as I know UE only solution for culling is the cull distance volume.