Dynamic lit UE4 Studio scene to VR

Hope someone can advise.

I have created a fairly large dynamic lit scene of a garden pavilion, which moves from the garden inside the structure. I have used the LPV to give GI to the inside of the structure, and created some nice animations so pretty pleased.

Would like to know if I turned it into a VR scene using the office HTC Vive, would it work to any degree. Or would I have to change all my lighting to Static or Stationary rather than Moveable?
The computer it would run of is quite powerful but i’m guessing having moving trees and flowers would be a step to far to expect a dynamic scene to work.

Currently using version 4.21 which seems to have improved on some of the earlier import issues. Looking forward to trying 4.22!

Regards

it should work in vr, you didn’t mention what kind of performance you were getting though, anything lower than 45fps can cause motion sickness and won’t be a very good experience.

Note I said 45 fps and not 90 because valve’s new reprojection software in steamvr works well.

Thanks for the advice Bryan,

Does checking the frame rate while moving around during perspective mode give any indication of the frame count during VR? If so I am reaching about 35 FPS tops which may improve with some optimisation.

This information may be helpful with performance: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Platforms/VR/VRPerformance

More general Unreal performance information here: Testing and Optimizing Your Content | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Profile early and often. Check if your bottleneck is on CPU or GPU.

Personally for large archviz scenes if I just do a straight import from CAD I might have thousands of objects, so I have found that draw calls is frequently a bottle neck for me. Joining actors or using HLODs helps a lot. Also the editor does have some overhead, so your framerate in a release build should be noticeably higher than in editor. That begin said, if you don’t absolutely need dynamic lighting, static lighting can still look great and will have much better performance. And of course you can always do a combination, it’s not all or nothing.