Dynamic Ledge Climb System

No custom character. Its a fresh “Create Project” project. With no modifications.

ah ok, so I think I know what’s happening… I’ll update you once I’ve fixed it. Thanks for the bug report!

also, the IK system is still a work in progress.

It’s a little buggy but it’s a good starting point. IK is not usable and even turning corners has some problems.

Yeah, the IK system is just a placeholder for now, Will be including a completed and more functional IK system in the next update.
What issues have u come across with the corner turns so far?

There is an existing bug reported by a user which messes up the grab after jumping from a ledge. I have will have that fixed as well

I think the controls should be so that if you are moving left, for example, on a ledge and come to a corner, keep pressing left should turn the corner. Or at lest how can we make it do that?

Thanks

You could do that, but then you won’t be able to activate the “Can Jump Left/Right” state. Because at the moment, when you move left and reach a corner, you stop and if you hold left, he puts his arm out to jump to the left. If you don’t want to jump sideways from ledges, then you can disable that state and force a corner turn instead.

In 99% of games this is done by ressing again the jump button. Wayting for the network update. Nice job bro but please reduce as much as you can the logic in the Animation Blueprint, is not debuggable. Please use components as much as you can!

Yeah I’m working on it. I’m cleaning up the AnimBP logic and am currently adding ladders and vine support. I’ve been busy relocating to a new city the last few weeks and didn’t get time to work on updating the system, so sorry for the slight delay in updates.

Small update video on the System. Been working on fixing the rotation bug when jumping from wall to wall. Ended up adding variable height detection to the reachable ledges as well.

This looks truly awesome! Just picked this up so I can start using it and try out some demo levels before the update is released. I have a game demo, if not eventual full game, planned for while I’m still in school (game art student at Full Sail) so I have something to show off when I graduate. This is exactly what I had in mind for gameplay, very excited for the update so I can start the actual game.

Update coming soon!

Amazing! Waiting for the update!

Haha sent to Epic for approval. FYI, the Ledge system is still working out of the player pawn for now. The new IK system is a Component and you’ll also see a Ledge System Component which isn’t fully functional yet so Don’t use it. I’m still figuring out how to change some stuff on it to work properly.

How difficult is it to add the animations to an existing character and project? Are the climbable areas just blueprints that can be dropped onto any mesh?

I have a similar question. I’m trying to replace the mannequin with my own model, that is rigged and sized to the UE4 skeleton, but it’s not working out right.

Downloaded and tried. Climbing is definitely more stable but Ik is still far from production - ready. If you need help in rearranging code please feel free to contact me.

The climbing feels better, but I’m not sure what happened here. I made a brand new project after I had trouble replacing the model and only hit play.

~Trying to recreate it without much luck, so may not be a big issue.

You need to set up the Custom Trace Channels as the documentation states. And then you can turn on the ledge trace channel on any Static mesh you place.

I’m updating the documentation with more details on how to use the system with custom characters. I didn’t expect Epic to approve the update so quickly, It usually takes a week, this time it took an hour haha

Yeah I think the IK needs a bit more work with Situational awareness. I’ll message you when I’m back on moving code to components.

Oh ok cool, that’s awesome. While I’m still working on my own character, I was trying to get this to work with one of the Paragon characters, mostly Twinblast, but it wasn’t going very well. To be fair I may not be going about it the best way, I was retargeting Twinblast with the Mannequin skeleton, which resulted in odd animations. Which was surprising, since on the marketplace page those models are sized and rigged for the UE4 skeleton, but either way I’m likely not doing this right. I just learned how to do that in my game animation class this past week.