"DX12 is not supported on your system. Try running without the -dx12 or -d3d12 command line argument" when opening valley of the ancient demo

Would love to check the demo out that took me 5 hours to install, never recieved this message before but I have been working on 4.26 and a sample ue5 project for a while and havnt gotten the error.

Anywho, is it a big deal if i do what the message says? and how exactly do i do it? Or is this a bug?

Thanks

What are your system specs?

Windows 7 64 bit, i know sorry 24gigs of DDR3, AMD FX-4350 Processor and a R9 280x GPU

Kinda old rig, Maybe drivers out of date? Id prefer not to go through that if thats not the issue though, as someone else pointed out i think I would have had some issues by now if I didnt have DX12

Or possibly an issue with the older W7 OS?

I think it’s probably due to Windows 7, it may not support the latest version of DX12 and that could be the issue. UE5 certainly would require those advanced features in DX12.

1 Like

Windows 7 and your GPU can only go up to DirectX 11. You are ok to run UE5 but won’t be able to run the engine if the project has anything activated that needs DirectX 12.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thanks!

I have Windows 10 same problem with graphics capable of dx12 and more and having the same pop-up trying to get the city example in the project just opening the example. I updated my driver tells me to do command line arguments, and apparently in the documentation of the 5.0, it doesn’t have that

1 Like

The Radeon R9 280X was a performance-segment graphics card by AMD, launched on October 8th, 2013. Built on the 28 nm process, and based on the Tahiti graphics processor, in its Tahiti XTL variant, the card supports DirectX 12. Even though it supports DirectX 12, the feature level is only 11_1, which can be problematic with newer DirectX 12 titles.

get a new gfx card
city sample small works on my gtx 1060
it needs at least 6gigs of vram too, just for the small city.

what is the solution for this error?