DX 12 is not supported on your system

Thanks for your answer, but the laptop does in fact have the TPM, but it’s not compatible for some other weird reason…

I did recommend that @D1mon4ella use Windows update :wink:

Weird!

The hardware-software cabal has decided that we need to buy new machines every 3 years anyway, so I just counted myself lucky I could wait 5 years last time before the upgrade I did last year …

I guess next upgrade will be a 5xxx series graphics card, so I have some time yet before the next raid on the saving account.

1 Like

Shame, actually, it’s a nice laptop. Still puffing away.

Do you have a van to put it in? :smiley:

I’ll stick with the 1660 for now. It’s the most common gaming card, and it also helps to see when your ‘engine usage’ is getting out of hand :rofl:

I have a 1060
and I’m ok
I just update my drivers at every win update.

You can just run the editor and find out :slight_smile:

After 20 years away I’ve got myself a decent workstation again - downloaded the City model to test my P6000 and got the dx12 error so thanks to the guy above as I’ve now got the 22H2 win 10 coming down the pipe

1 Like

@ClockworkOcean hey there! I’m getting the same error even though I have DX12 and the latest version, -including optional updates-, of Windows 11. Any clue on what can I do on order to fix so?

Do your nvidia settings reset?

Do you get the error in the first post?

Yes, I do.

Have you been through the whole thing? There’s a lot in here… :slight_smile:

your hardware total list post here

16GB RAM;
256GB SSD;
Duo-Core Intel i7-7600U 2.80GHz;
Intel HD Graphics 620;

your graphics DirectX 11 support only
you need nvidia or radon DirectX 12 support graphic card.

Set in you game folder/ config/DefaultEngine file
-D3D12TargetedShaderFormats=PCD3D_SM5
+D3D12TargetedShaderFormats=PCD3D_SM5

1 Like

Will that impossibility me from using Nanite or Virtual Shadows Map?

Your graphic card video ram is not sufficient.
your card dx12 shader6 not supported.
Nanite requires RTX cores.
So Do your System upgrade with RTX Graphic card minimum 8gb Video ram.

best working unreal system:
intel i7 or i9 processor
1TB SSD
Nvidia RTX 4080Ti
64GB RAM

1 Like

I’m running Enterprise LTSC version and there is no update available. still project doesn’t run.

The curious thing is I don’t have a -dx12 parameter on the command line to remove either!

As usual Microsoft doesn’t make it any easier to download updates.
I wonder how people who want to run the ValleyoftheAncient project on linux will supposed to do it?

I have that windows 11 on a VM machine that doesn’t have any of the microsoft requirements for it including TPM, internet connection …

I don’t think security updates has anything to do with DX12 missing error while DX12 is already installed according to DX12 installer and DxDiag

My windows is 10 Enterprise LTSC and already has DX12 (DxDiag) but the project config was PCD3D_SM6 changed it to PCD3D_SM5 and it started compiling shders.

if I’m not mistaken D3D11TargetedShaderFormats is the setting for DX11 not D3D12TargetedShaderFormats

Still don’t know what is the difference between PCD3D_SM5 and PCD3D_SM6

Edit: I think I came to conclusion too early, I was greeted with a message in editor that virtual shadows will not be rendered until SM6 setting is enabled (that tiny +, - in front of it)

PCD3D_SM5 means “directx 11 class graphics” (shader model 5)
PCD3D_SM6 means “directx 12 class graphics” (shader model 6)

If your only graphics is Intel HD 620, you’re stuck on DX11 class graphics (shader model 5) even though the D3D 12 API might be installed – the hardware simply can’t make use of it.