Dual Quaternion support

It was interesting finding this while I was wrangling DQS onto ue5-main. Which actually works pretty well still.
https://graphics.tu-bs.de/publications/bittner2019evaluation

I didn’t know DQS took half the memory as is. The performance is almost equal or faster. Yes I know FPS isn’t the best way to demonstrate it. An accurate performance test probably should’ve involved morphs with LBS/DQS.

That pre-computation for CRS is kind of a killer without a lot of work though. But I suppose that’s against the time it would’ve taken to do morphs on a model.

yeah after some more tests i did notice which by using jcm’s you can fix a lot of those issues but it’s requires a lot of extra jcms to be created for this specific stuff and also the issue can be countered a little based on each model you are using for exemple some outfits like a full body suit and delete the base skin mesh inside and “deform” then some of then actually works well here’s a exemple:

in this case the buge issue is much less visible still there but more doable, some meshes are better than others at dealing with it, but without any doubts after some tests i find out which the best soluition without the DQ is really jcms for exemple here the daz g8 character just posing it again here’s is how it’s normally look:

even with the base jcms you get from daz you can still get issues, now i learned something interesting i’ve transfered some “pose controls/morphs” from daz which while inside daz they work’s like really pose controls where you use then to “rotate” the character, when export to outisde daz they “turn into morphs” then when you apply “those morphs” here the result:

as you can see a huge difference, the “knee up” morph actually make the knee bend looks almost perfect in every way where’s the normal rotating bones just make the mesh go really ugly, then indeed if we could use some of those “poses” morphs as base to create some jcms maybe indeed it can be done, the fixing stuff just using the jcms, but as i told we need some more extra jcms to fix those stuffs.

Just wondering if you managed to get DQS into UE5. If so, is that something that you can share?

1 Like

Epic added a Dual Quaternion Skinning Deformer example in 5.1 contentexample(available in epic store to download) I downloaded it and tried it out and it works on Daz characters you just have to make a deformer graph for it and add the graph in skeletal mesh editor…but there’s a problem the dual qaternion deformation breakes the animations when pushing the rotation beyond 30 deg on x or z axis (worls fine on y axis rotation for some reason… I’m also kind of new to deformer graph so it can be that I messed up somewhere) … but this brings new hope that we maybe don’t need an entire seperate build for DQS to work in unreal…if someone knowledgeable takes a look at it our problems solved

1 Like

My 2c. Go back to a version of the engine that work, buld from source with the proper files to support it. Never update the engine again until your project is done.

Anything else is pretty much a waste of time (waiting on epic to fix stuff they’ll never fix).