DT:Mayhem a Beat em up project

So how’s everyone is doing? Anyway…
Bit time went by, all the excitement fade off after Epic Games MegaJam for me and was a bit in sink hole of what to do and where to go, but never left and decided to get deeper into animations inside UE5, but for a while was fun until decided to put everything into one piece… and make some sort of devlog/showcase here in EU forums, will try to post on regular basis.

And after a while something out of it started to come out, and my brain decided to make a weird. kinda classic Beat Em Up style game.

As per usual kept the Voxel style in mind, and started to put everything in one workable thingy…

Very basic game play loop (for now), AI utilizing behavior tree.

At this point trying to put all the game mechanics into place, to make sure hit detection works, proper events are called on proper times, combo move system, etc… just a bare bone functionality without going deep into visual pass.

Main player and AI character utilizes similar control rigs for animations. Control rigs dont have anything fancy at this point.

I use simple rig due the characters are not demanding in animations or controls at this time.

This given time there is basic Test Dummy and main character.
All the assets are made inside Magica Voxel software and moved then to Blender and exported as FBX to UE5. Characters hands are done in double the size compared to main body due them demands more flexibility for animation.

Here is example of fist combos, animation is done in Level Sequencer and then baked to Anim file.

All the combos are driven through Anim Montage and controlled by notifiers. So like this I can build a attack sequence in one file and control what is playing through BP.

Also I am experimenting with Animation and Physics driven objects, as show case these punching bags.

At this point there is not much to show in visual style, but there is some of the assets I am working on.

So I imagine bunch of things will change while time goes.
Where is still a lot i didn’t posted here, but maybe next week i will add more, bunch of the things are working but not in the showcase level working :slight_smile:

Well take it easy people see you later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there @Tashkas,

Hope you’re well and having a great week so far!

I’m absolutely obsessed with the voxel style you’ve gone with. I don’t think I’ve seen it used very often. The animations and audio effects seem genuinely charming and well-polished.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more!

thank you, thank you.
if I could find more time ( as I bet everyone else) could do more, but for now it is how it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello hello hello…
Here another updated on the project week later, eventually have not too much time or energy to get deep into project… but some progress was done.

Basic refactoring of character code, and how events are driven.

One of the biggest thing added ability to throw items and do DMG to AI.
Fully functional actor with ability to use any static mesh for item to throw, but still trying to scale it down just to few different types of object, so I don’t need to create extra animations for each item.
Goes like this:
Small item (any small item like boxes, books, other garbage from floor)
Large item (barrels, furniture etc…)
Items which can be thrown or used to attack (like pipes, sticks, swords etc…)

Also started to build little demo map, so I can put some of Art in it.
In the map created RNG buildings, with idea to keep with different first floors and simple second floors. want to make that player could enter the buildings, and found up there NPC’s like store clerks or other characters.

For the next week is in plans to make AI a bit smarter than it is now, it wonders around, reacts to player damaging it, chasing it or losing interest. But still trying to find basic fighting loop against AI, maybe lock on and just fight one enemy at the time or keep it as is and fight what ever gets in your way.
AI still misses ability to read surroundings to find items in could pick up and attack player with, keep distance while attacking (like attack once then step back and change location and attack again, or something bit different).

Other big thing is to get rid of pre made hit animations and build physical animations for hit responses. But all this comes then I decide to build AI character rig to reuse for bunch of enemies, physical animations need nicely build PhAT asset.

So this how it is right now :slight_smile:

peace Tashkas