Drone

Hey guys,

I want to buy a drone which is able to carry my DSLR cam and take some shots.

Anyone here with some drone experience? How much do I need to invest? Do I need a Quadrocopter or an Octocopter? Are there any important details?

BR!

Christian

I have experience in that area, but to give you a suggestion, I need the exact weight of your camera (important for the price) :slight_smile:

I’ve got the canon 750d as an entry-level model, with the following specs:

weight - 555 grams
size - 131.9 x 100.7 x 77.8mm

I’m not sure about which lenses I should use.

When you buy everything in Europe + when you dont want to build it by yourself you will surely have to invest around 1000-2000€, because you need:

-a drone (doesnt matter if it’s a quadro or octocopter) -> you can find some good ones here: ://www.der-schweighofer.at/wg/6487/multicopter_zubehoer_und_ersatzteile Always make sure that it’s abel to carry 555g (cant post you a good one, because I just know “small” ones which can carry cameras like a gopro) + which stuff you really need (e.g do you need gps?,…)
-a remote control + a receiver (when the drone is a RTF you dont need that)
-a camera mount which is compatible with your drone (should it be abel to rotate?)
-a camera stabilisator
-**spare parts **-> depending on the quality of the gyro (Kreisel -> is here to stabilize your drone) it could be that you crash the drone, because Rc flying is not so easy when you dont have a good technique which supports you + the weather is unpredictable (some of my planes crashed because of downdrafts near the ground)
-spare battery -> when you flew your drone the first time, you will be addicted to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Another question is, if you want to see the pictures in realtime (FPV) -> then you will need some more stuff

A good shop is -> ://hobbyking/hobbyking/store/index.asp There you get cheap stuff in a pretty good quality.

I definitely agree with on using hobbyking. Buy the cheapest materials because you will crash it. That is a 100% guarantee. I would also recommend building your own so you can get a better idea of how exactly they work. Start with a tricopter because it’s cheaper, easier to fly and has a long flight time. A couple years ago I made a build for under $100 but that was not including the remote control. The camera stabilizer is going to be the most expensive thing because all the cheap ones are geared towards GoPros.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because it has been about 2 years since I was knee deep in it.
Cheap tri copter build:
fiberglass baseplate and wood arms
Mulit Wii flight controller
4x 30A blue series speed controllers
4x cheapest 800-1000KV motors
cheapest 3cell 4000+Mah battery
servo for tricopter
10-12" props for stability
secure the flight controller with gyro tape and everything else with zip ties. This lets things break off in a crash and well make your parts last longer.

Quad copter advanced build:
same speed controllers, engine and props
a DIY drone flight computer(lets you edit just about everything and is a couple $100 cheaper than the DJI flight controllers)
a DJI 450 frame. This is the probably the best frame ever build

I personally wouldnt do that (even though it’s cheaper + you learn something), because without any rc flight experience this will be a pretty difficult part, especially the part were you have to adjust everything (but when you have a good gyro it shouldnt be a problem). :wink:

I definitly need to spend some time to think about it.

Thank you guys for all the details, you mentioned a lot of stuff I never thought about.

I hope you are wrong, or I crash it without my dslr.

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. I actually learned on RC planes so that might be the best starting point. I also burned through a lot of extra components on my first build

That’s not a knock on you. Everyone crashes while learning. It just happens

0:05 and 0:45
v=4jq5oyv54lI

That’s an aluminum frame from DIYdrones and is awful.

A crash will surely happen at the beginning, so make sure to have enough space around you, because especially drones and helicopters are really dangerous!. :stuck_out_tongue:
I also started with rc planes. They are pretty easy to fly and really cheap

Before I forget it: / As we live in Europe you will have to make sure that you know the laws :wink:

Nowadays drones come with built-in cameras. why do you want to use your DSLR camera?