Drilling into a mesh in gameplay

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if there is a way/option/tutorial on how to make a drillable mesh. I have seen the Voxel plugin, but it costs $350, and I am still relatively a complete beginner and don’t want to make such a purchase. I have also seen videos on using the fracture mode, but I am not sure how to implement it in the drilling simulation. My goal is to develop a dental simulator, so I need to make the tooth mesh drillable with the handpiece. I appreciate any assistance.

you can use dynamic mesh, for started look here for basic explanation

why not use the free voxel plugin?

Thank you for the suggestion. I feel like this is close to what I would like to do, and it’s definitely given me some ideas. The differences here are as follows:
1- I would like to have my own mesh (the tooth) to be the dynamic mesh and not a regular “Append Box” node
2- I would like to be able to calculate where the drill will hit this mesh and then accordingly subtract from it using the custom mesh of the drill. I do not want the tooth to randomly start getting destroyed every 0.25 seconds by another “Append Box” node.

I know these might sound like simple problems to overcome for a more knowledgeable person, but I am only a beginner. Thank you again for the suggestion and I would really appreciate if you could help me out with these problems.

I would, but the free version does not support voxelization of custom meshes. Do you know of any other alternatives?

This is pretty custom stuff. The fact that you can buy a paid-for version that does what you need for a few hundred dollars seems amazing to me – that’s a really great value!

It’s just that I have read that the documentation is not beginner-friendly and sometimes not even complete. I am only afraid to spend that much and not use it because of frustration.

Philosophy time! I’m not great with words, but trying to write something that I wished I had learned much earlier in my career. Take from it what works, leave the rest.

If you’re afraid of sometimes not getting what you want, even when you put in the effort, then life will be very rough for you.

The universe doesn’t care about humans. Other humans only barely care about other humans (other than parents, and the family we choose.)

In basic school and training, everything is a greased path, because those situations need to pull thousands of people through the same experience. Thus, all the examples work, and there’s a definite “done” at the end. Real engineering doesn’t work like that at all.

Almost everything easy and simple, that’s worthwhile, will already have been done, because there’s nine billion people on Earth. Thus, the things that are worthwhile, are almost certainly not easy, and thus require hard work to get into.

If you try things, and never fail, you’re not trying hard enough.

The cost of some tool or book or resource may or may not help you with whatever is right now in front of your nose, but the skills and additional world view you get from understanding a variety of things, will pay off over time in your projects and career. Buying a piece of software for a few hundred dollars is an investment in yourself and your future, as long as you actually put in the time to understand and learn from it. Even if you don’t end up succeeding in the current effort, the learning will be there to support you in the next.
(I had a REALLY hard time with this, because money was always scarce when I grew up, and buying something just to learn was an almost alien concept!)

1 Like