Draw an ellipse

Hi!

I’m using Unreal 5.3.2.

I need to draw some splines like these ones:

There lines represent the orbits of the planets around the Sun.

Someone has suggested me to use Debug lines, but is there another way to draw it? Maybe with Blueprint Splines.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

You could also try Niagara ribbons.

Debug lines

That’s PIE only unless you C++ it, Rama’s Victory plugin has it exposed afair.

Thank you. You are great!

I need to draw an ellipse because planet orbits are ellipses. I think I could draw it with your Solar System Simulator/Generator, isn’t it?

Again, thank you.

It does support it yes, as in the anim. Disclaimer: the script is 7-8 years old, there might be embarrassing elements there.

1 Like

Don’t worry. If you want I can show you my code, and that way we can be embarrassed together.

1 Like

I had almost identical problem to tackle. Splines are really slow if you want to spawn them trough code. Niagara may work here.

However i made C++ code that calculates transforms on ellipse (no Kepler calculations, just ellipse with focal points). Transform is done so it always points (rotation) to next point on ellipse, and scale is scaling 1uu to distance between points.

However all that code is in C++ function library, i can provide copy of it, there are multiple functions all blueprintable.

Old screens:

ps (just remembered):
My function draws ellipses in 2d, then i have another function that recalculates array of those transforms into 3d space. I did not work on it for like 9 months (we dropped idea of drawing orbits).