Downloading files at runtime

Hello there,
I am making a game in which I have added more than 7 suits that players can change in-game, but the size of the game is too much.

So, I came up with an idea that there will be 1 suit by default and the rest we can download selectively in-game just like downloading maps and assets in PUBG and other games. Is there a way?

This is an android project

Edit

**: according to this article Primer: Loading Content and Pak Files at Runtime

Unreal Engine automatically loades pak files in these directories at startup

• /Content/Paks/
  • Engine/Content/Paks/
  • Saved/Content/Paks/

This means that we need to make pak file and download it with Runtime Files Downloader in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace

and tell player to restart that game after pak file download complete. Am I right? If yes how will I get path of one of the three directories at runtime?

hi, @Frigon_Tech do you know how to load and download a pdf file during time by using this plugin?

1 Like

Downloading PDFs, but why to achieve that from a game engine?

its like that i want to showm my pdf or cad plan from drive link and if the client wants to download they can download it… i just wanna know if that’s possible … somehow

1 Like

I believe that is possible, but it would be tricky to get the download path of the device. Is it on android or pc.

if its a pc then search web or ask chatGPT on how to get the downloads path of the user’s system and just use the “download files to storage” node of Runtime Files Downloader and you can track the progress and notify the user when the files are downloaded. I did mine for android but it did not work, but when I tested it in a new empty project for windows it worked. So, you can get back to me if it works or doesn’t works.

ok sure… and its is for windows… I’ll try and get back to you… Thanks a lot for help.

1 Like

Use ChunkDownloader very easy to use and setup the unreal youtube video can be found here ChunkDownloader Explained | Inside Unreal Documentation

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.